Thread: See's Candy Bordeaux

Default See's Candy Bordeaux

If you're familiar with See's Candies then you probably know about their Bordeaux candies. If you've never tried them, the best way to describe it would be sort of a vanilla fudge. A while back I went on the search for a knockoff recipe and with a few tweaks came up with something pretty close to what you can get at See's. It's one of our favorite Christmas candies and I thought I would share.

1/4 cup butter
    2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup of evaporated milk
    2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    chocolate sprinkles

1. Spray an 8" pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
    2. In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar, evaporated milk
    and corn syrup; stir well. Bring to a full, rolling boil over medium heat,
    stirring constantly.
    3. Cover pan, reduce heat to low and continue gently boiling for two
    minutes. Remove lid and scrape sides of pan with rubber spatula.
    4. Continue boiling, uncovered, over low heat, until mixture reaches 236
    degrees, gently scraping sides to prevent sticking, but avoid
    scraping the bottom of the pan.
    5. Pour mixture into a heatproof mixing bowl (if you will be using a stand
    mixer to mix in step 6, use the bowl that fits your mixer). Set bowl into
    sink with a 1/2" of lukewarm water. Cool mixture until it reaches 125
    degrees.
    6. Add vanilla extract. Beat mixture until it thickens and loses it's gloss (the
    color and texture will be similar to peanut butter), about 5 to 10 minutes
    with my electric stand mixer. This step could be done by hand, but be
    prepared for a real workout.
    7. Pour mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top,
    allowing to melt and then spreading with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle
    chocolate sprinkles over melted chocolate and allow to cool to set up.

Smile Weird ... cause I just got my once a year box

of See's in the mail about a week back.

When I was a small child my dad was one of the many builders of the Seattle World's Fair.
    He would take me along with him to see the building and one of his places was the first See's Candies ever in Seattle.

The last day before the fair started he took me to the area around the food court where there were lots of outside vendors. The man setting up the booth gave me my first ever bite of See's. It was one of those ... best candy I'd ever ate.

My father was the main builder of all the See's Candies in WA state. I love walking into one of those stores.
    Now I live so far out that I have to order mine by internet ... just not the same.

Since I only allow myself one box of these a year ... it is nice to know I can now make my own ... other times of the year.

Thank you!

That's such a nice story, Little RedRidingHood. I, too, have fond childhood memories of See's. Mostly, I remember how much my grandfather loved it. He lived in TX so my mom would always bring a box along for our Christmas visit during the holidays. Of course we all got to share his box of candy. See's will forever remind me of special times and Christmas at my grandparent's house.

Talking Funny ...

My one and only girl child, now late 20s, does the same for me whenever she comes to visit.
    She brings me a single serving size of my favorite kind. Like a large candy bar.

She brings that size cause she knows I have to watch my weight!! But, she knows how much I love See's!

Oh my, I wish I'd never clicked on this thread!

I wanted to make this for Christmas, but we had extremely high humidity for at least 10 days before the holiday- and you can't make fudge in high humidity. Maybe I'll try it soon- we're in the 90% humidity range right now, but that should drop when it gets colder next week again...

Summerthyme