Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Keurig Coffee Rip Off - Creating a trend to separate fools from their money

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Yes it's frivolous, but it works for us.
    I initially said many of the same things as the article writer, but since then I've seen several applications that work. One was an office where everyone drinks cans of sports energy drinks, but they needed some way to serve fresh coffee to clients. Another was an elderly woman who can only have 1-2 cups of coffee a week.

So I do see the value now. I think it helps to get a reusable "cup" for them:

http://www.yourstoreonline.net/2_kcu...fa9amgodzeoa7w

As for me, I have a little 4-cup Black & Decker machine ($17.50 on sale) and have been trying to switch back to tea.

Certainly a case of convenience over cost- though if you're a single guy a 50 cent cup is still cheaper than McDonalds, or anywhere else on the way to the office. Everyday I see lots of Starbucks cups- at $2 a pop and up.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
    Certainly a case of convenience over cost- though if you're a single guy a 50 cent cup is still cheaper than McDonalds, or anywhere else on the way to the office. Everyday I see lots of Starbucks cups- at $2 a pop and up.
    Good to see you posting though Heritage Doc. Hopefully you'll help us out in the root cellar!

Now we have countries...

I don't understand what this thing is or why there's a fuss about it. Does it make nasty coffee or something?

I make my coffee in one of these things. I can put it right on top of the woodstove as soon as the fire gets going. The grounds are down in the bottom of the pot though so if you don't want them in your cup you have to pour slowly. And still expect a few grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    I don't understand what this thing is or why there's a fuss about it. Does it make nasty coffee or something?

I make my coffee in one of these things. I can put it right on top of the woodstove as soon as the fire gets going. The grounds are down in the bottom of the pot though so if you don't want them in your cup you have to pour slowly. And still expect a few grounds.
    It uses prepackaged little cartridges of coffee you pop in. It brews one cup of coffee very rapidly, and then you toss out the cartridge. The reusable cartridges you can fill with your own coffee simply has a wire mesh screen. No paper filters. So if you use the reusable cartridge, cleanup is more of a hassle than with a regular coffeemaker.

What impressed me was that you could get prepackaged cartridges of hot apple cider and hot lemonade, which would be great for the office when one wants something other than coffee.

As for what I have now, I have at the office a 12-cup Rival coffeemaker I got at Walmart for $8 or $9 last fall. I use it to brew a pot for the day, and take little sips of coffee from time to time. Also, I provide coffee to my clients and coworkers. I also have an electric water kettle at the office that I got at Walmart for not too much. It's for those who want tea, and I sometimes use it for instant soup.

We don't use the Keurig, though I do see you can get the boxes of cartridges at the local salvage market for about $3 for a box of 12. Still not great but better than sixty cents a serving.

Meanwhile I find "Starbucks" "Seattles Best", "Caribou", etc., for about $3 a bag... depending. Hard to beat for what some call Premium coffee. And a 3lb can of Yuban is about $6.

I love those Amish markets!
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseWolf View Post
    Meanwhile I find "Starbucks" "Seattles Best", "Caribou", etc., for about $3 a bag... depending. Hard to beat for what some call Premium coffee. And a 3lb can of Yuban is about $6.

I love those Amish markets!
    Wow! Lucky you. That is a great price.

There is nothing better than a cup of good coffee.
    And there is a big difference in quality between Folgers etc. and the more expensive "premium" coffees. Personally I will pay the extra money. It's one of my few indulgences. Plus I drink only one or two cups a day.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Mocha-Java.
    Lately I've been drinking either Gevalia's House Blend or their Traditional Roast. Great coffees. And they are not priced too bad either.

The same goes for teas as well.
    Nothing beats a good cup of loose leaf black, green, or oolong tea. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Chai tea is great in the winter as well.

A while back I was on a major tea kick. I pretty much stopped drinking coffee for a year or so. I couldn't believe the difference between bags and loose leaf. It's like night and day. They become almost addictive.

The only draw back. High quality teas get real expensive real fast! Much more the coffee. Of course you can steep many of them up to 3 or 4 times.
    That evens it out some.

Oh yeah, back on topic.
    I would never buy that Keurig garbage.
    I use an Aeropress coffee maker. It makes a really nice cup of joe.
    I love it.
    "How is it possible to have a civil war?" - George Carlin

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot." - George Orwell

My Keurig broke or quit or whatever after a little over a year of use. I went back to my 3 cup Mr Coffee maker and I would say the coffee does taste better! Buying those little Keurig Cups was expensive, too!

I use a 12 cup $4.00 pot bought a Wal Mart years ago. I drink a mug before work and fill a pint thermos to take to work. That's about a half pot. If you want a strong coffee flavor go to ALDI and buy their dark roast coffee. They only have one variety of coffee. $5.59 for a 34 oz can. What used to be a 3# can back in the day.

I'm too cheap to buy a Keurig.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by orion commander View Post
    I use a 12 cup $4.00 pot bought a Wal Mart years ago. I drink a mug before work and fill a pint thermos to take to work. That's about a half pot. If you want a strong coffee flavor go to ALDI and buy their dark roast coffee. They only have one variety of coffee. $5.59 for a 34 oz can. What used to be a 3# can back in the day.

I'm too cheap to buy a Keurig.
    The big advantage for the working slob is that you don't have to clean a keurig. You just pitch out the little cup. No pot, no grounds, no fuss. Just a cup. And if you use paper that goes in the trash too.
    Now we have countries...