Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Keurig Coffee Rip Off - Creating a trend to separate fools from their money

We bought a Bunn 10 cuper about 5 years ago, It still works like new. We buy bulk coffee beans on the internet and run them through a Mr. Coffee grinder. This allows us to come to the grind and amount to make coffee as we like it. Makes about 2 1/2 real cups of coffee for my wife and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    I don't understand what this thing is or why there's a fuss about it. Does it make nasty coffee or something?

I make my coffee in one of these things. I can put it right on top of the woodstove as soon as the fire gets going. The grounds are down in the bottom of the pot though so if you don't want them in your cup you have to pour slowly. And still expect a few grounds.
    It uses prepackaged little cartridges of coffee you pop in. It brews one cup of coffee very rapidly, and then you toss out the cartridge. The reusable cartridges you can fill with your own coffee simply has a wire mesh screen. No paper filters. So if you use the reusable cartridge, cleanup is more of a hassle than with a regular coffeemaker.

What impressed me was that you could get prepackaged cartridges of hot apple cider and hot lemonade, which would be great for the office when one wants something other than coffee.

As for what I have now, I have at the office a 12-cup Rival coffeemaker I got at Walmart for $8 or $9 last fall. I use it to brew a pot for the day, and take little sips of coffee from time to time. Also, I provide coffee to my clients and coworkers. I also have an electric water kettle at the office that I got at Walmart for not too much. It's for those who want tea, and I sometimes use it for instant soup.

We don't use the Keurig, though I do see you can get the boxes of cartridges at the local salvage market for about $3 for a box of 12. Still not great but better than sixty cents a serving.

Meanwhile I find "Starbucks" "Seattles Best", "Caribou", etc., for about $3 a bag... depending. Hard to beat for what some call Premium coffee. And a 3lb can of Yuban is about $6.

I love those Amish markets!
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

They worked great at our church co-op. Everyone can bring her own k-cup. No mess or coffee to store. No clean up required. Wouldn't have one at home tho.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Ten Bears View Post
    They worked great at our church co-op.
    Yeah . . . I think ours started that, too.

I have two thermo travel cups (one is a spare). It goes with me if I'm either out of time or mid-morning coffee will be necessary.

Housewolf, no Amish markets in my immediate area of Iowa! That and not having a Meijer are two things I miss about Ohio.

We have a $13 Sunbeam bottom of the line machine that we have probably run at least 2000 pots of coffee through. Everybody raves about how good our coffee is, which we credit to never washing the carafe. There's a brand new spare in the basement, but this one just keeps on perkin'.

The neighbors across the road have a Keurig, but I prefer our coffee to theirs. Might be personal preference.
    "We have to rebuild in a way that you will not be victimized by a similar storm again, because we don't - we're just wasting money, and we're essentially engaging in false advertising that what we're doing is restoring you to your situation that existed before the storm.”

Joe Biden

My daughter has a Keurig. It just feels odd when she tells me to pick one I want (they keep one of those things that shows all the varieties on the counter). Like I'm at a restaurant or something, it seems, and I want to offer to pay for it (but I don't).

Wouldn't have one at home, though. We have a $15 coffeemaker and stock up on Maxwell House when it goes on sale. And the grounds can be useful in the garden.

All depends on how much coffee you drink or the location those things are used in, like an office or car dealer. My sister has one and drinks maybe one cup every other day. My mom and dad have one and they are just throwing money down the drain. They go through two boxes from sams every month. $70 a month! And they don't have the money to spare.
    Where there are too many policemen, there is no liberty. Where there are too many soldiers, there is no peace. Where there are too many lawyers, there is no justice.
    Lin Yutang

vampish1 is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

The bad thing about *most* of the k-cup coffees, teas, hot chocolate etc. is that they have a bunch of additives in them. Aspartame, splenda, things I can't even begin to spell. Almost none are just ground coffee or tea leaves.

I really wanted one until I was shopping for my coffees and teas that I wanted to purchase with the Keurig. After looking at ingredients, I decided I wasn't going to be any better off by transferring my caffeine addiction to the Keurig.

We have a tassimo brew bot. Instead of cups they use "T Discs" . We love it!

Works for us quite well as I like the stronger, darker roast blends and DW drinks the lighter ones or decaf. Makes tea, hot choc. Cappuccino etc...

Might cost a bit more per cup but I think it is well worth it.

We still have the reg. drip maker and a perculator that I use camping , outdoors etc...
    “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.H. L. Mencken