Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Keurig Coffee Rip Off - Creating a trend to separate fools from their money

If you want good coffee use a press anything else is just going through the motions.
    I ain't askin' nobody for nothin' if I can't get it on my own
    you don't like the way I'm livin
    you just leave this long-haired country boy alone-CD

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Making an entire pot of coffee in the Black & Decker coffee maker shown (we had the same one) wasted a LOT of money for us because I make one cup each morning so the rest of the pot went down the drain.

Yes it's frivolous, but it works for us.
    I just fill my 32 oz coffee cup with water; pour that into the Mr. Coffee coffee maker and viola....I have the exact amount of coffee I need each morning.
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

I purchased a Keurig last year, knowing full well that there was no real "savings" in using one. I bought it for convenience alone. It has, however, cut down on the amount of coffee I drink at home - which is a good thing. I do still have my press for when I want to grind up my beans (I have a bag of Jamaican Peaberry coffee sitting in the freezer for special occasions)
    wearing the babushka with pride...

we will stick with our antique percolator and our 3 to 4 dollar a pound coffee.. folks will have went through a half dozen or more of these cheap plastic pieces of garbage before they die,, while when we are dead and gone,a grandchild will have our perfectly functioning percolator.

i dont understand the consumption,,the need for the latest and greatest piece of plastic crap that is going to break within 5 years.. and then people complain they have no money...
    nemophilist.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    we will stick with our antique percolator and our 3 to 4 dollar a pound coffee.. folks will have went through a half dozen or more of these cheap plastic pieces of garbage before they die,, while when we are dead and gone,a grandchild will have our perfectly functioning percolator.

i dont understand the consumption,,the need for the latest and greatest piece of plastic crap that is going to break within 5 years.. and then people complain they have no money...
    Some of the best coffee I've ever had came from an old fashioned percolator.

I don't think people who use these are serious coffee drinkers. Half the pleasure of drinking coffee is the antisapation of drinking that first cup after smelling it brewing. Something like that first cup of coffee after a cold night of camping in the woods when you're wet and covered with dew.

Wanting speed in all things human has robbed us of some of the best of pleasures. Something like waiting for that first tiny cup of tea after attending a Chinese tea ceremony. We used to have a Chinese gentleman friend who seved us such tea after his resteraunt closed. It might have tasted like carp, but after watching such eleborate and lengthy machinations to prepare it, it tasted like heaven. Or maybe it was the fact that that first flush tea cost 100.00 a pound and came in a gilded and "jeweled" tin fit to store jewels in. (First flush tea is the tiny tender first leaves that are hand picked.) Not all first flush tea is that expensive. If you've never had first flush tea you should try some. Republic Tea has some I believe.

We use a Chemex coffee maker. (The only coffee maker to ever be installed in the Smithsonian Museum) It truly is a work of art. It's a giant hand blown glass carafe shaped like an hour glass. It has a two piece wooden collar around the middle of the hour glass and tied together with a wooden bead and leather thong so one can pick it up. A bonded unbleached filter comes like a flat circle one folds into a cone and then is opened on one side and placed into the top of the hour glass. (you can get the filters prefolded,but I like folding them ) The filter is thicker than regular filters and made to only allow the boiling water to flow only so fast to steep the coffee for the required length of time (You can only use those special filters if you want a great cup of coffee.) It takes about three "fills" of boiling water in the top to make the entire pot, but it perfumes the entire kitchen as it makes not to mention the boiling tea kettle warms the kitchen on cold mornings. (80.00 at Amazon..... or 40.00 for the six cup one at World Market.) The reason I know this is I'm already on my fourth after 30 years. Yes, they are made all of glass. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HouseWolf View Post
    Meanwhile I find "Starbucks" "Seattles Best", "Caribou", etc., for about $3 a bag... depending. Hard to beat for what some call Premium coffee. And a 3lb can of Yuban is about $6.

I love those Amish markets!
    Wow! Lucky you. That is a great price.

There is nothing better than a cup of good coffee.
    And there is a big difference in quality between Folgers etc. and the more expensive "premium" coffees. Personally I will pay the extra money. It's one of my few indulgences. Plus I drink only one or two cups a day.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Mocha-Java.
    Lately I've been drinking either Gevalia's House Blend or their Traditional Roast. Great coffees. And they are not priced too bad either.

The same goes for teas as well.
    Nothing beats a good cup of loose leaf black, green, or oolong tea. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Chai tea is great in the winter as well.

A while back I was on a major tea kick. I pretty much stopped drinking coffee for a year or so. I couldn't believe the difference between bags and loose leaf. It's like night and day. They become almost addictive.

The only draw back. High quality teas get real expensive real fast! Much more the coffee. Of course you can steep many of them up to 3 or 4 times.
    That evens it out some.

Oh yeah, back on topic.
    I would never buy that Keurig garbage.
    I use an Aeropress coffee maker. It makes a really nice cup of joe.
    I love it.
    "How is it possible to have a civil war?" - George Carlin

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot." - George Orwell

My Keurig broke or quit or whatever after a little over a year of use. I went back to my 3 cup Mr Coffee maker and I would say the coffee does taste better! Buying those little Keurig Cups was expensive, too!

We use a little plastic "one cup" gadget with paper filters- biggest hassle was finding the filters- I ended up having to buy them through Amazon. The case I bought should last us a LONG time. (Hubby's the only coffee drinker). You add your coffee to the paper filter, pour a cup full of water into the compartment, put your coffee cup underneath the drip nozzle, and in a few minutes, you've got a decent cup of coffee.

We have a much larger Mr Coffee (I think- DD bought it as a gift for hubby) but it's TOO big, and if you don't run vinegar or other acidic "cleaner" through it at least once a month, the coffee starts tasting really funky. We pull it out for holidays when we've got a bunch of coffee drinkers, but that's it.

At 60 cents a cup of coffee, some serious coffee drinkers are spending HUNDREDS of bucks a month on coffee alone!!

Oh- and for those who want to cut coffee out for "health reasons", new studies show NO effect on heart problems (caffiene still can affect high blood presssure in "sensitive" individuals- about 10% of the population), AND 3 cups a day (or more!) have been shown to have a serious protective effect on the liver- 30% lower rates of liver cancer, and about 25% reduction in "fatty liver". Fatty liver is what folks who are built like "apples" get... the blubber that shows up hanging over your waist band is mirrored inside around your organs, as well.

We used to see it in cattle occasionally, usually if they'd lost a calf and had a very long lactation before coming fresh again. They'd get fat, and it would affect their liver. We actually lost a really good cow to that- not the first calving after she got so heavy, but the second time. She kept throwing clots, first to her brain and then her lungs, and no matter how often I got them broken down with cayenne tincture, she'd throw another one. After 48 hours of constant, futile treatment, we gave up and butchered her. Her liver was a mass of scar tissue- the source for the clots.

It's unlikely we'll struggle with that issue ever again, since we won't be milking cows again (except for a family cow) but if we were, I'd absolutely add coffee to the diet of an animal showing the weight gain signs!

I consider coffee to be a medicinal herb!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    My wife has one.
    It's not for people who like real coffee; only those girly types like hazelnut foo foo raspberry
    Well, I must be one of those girly types (but I'm definitely not female) to which you refer because, I like flavored coffee.

Beyond that, my daughter gave bought me one of these Keurig coffee makers for Christmas, a few years ago. From the very first cup, I hated the thing. I hate the cost and, I especially hate the having to make each cup of coffee as you go.

My wife finally got tired of my complaining about the thing and bought me a cheap - and I mean cheap - Mr. Coffee and, I'm perfectly happy to have it make a whole pot at a time.