Thread: Injured Toes

Default Injured Toes

November 25, I knocked a Kindle off a table and it landed on the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joints of my second and third toes. What made it awful was that it landed on edge. I said "Ow!" very loudly and colorfully for about 2 hours. Being as the force of the impact is inversely proportional to the surface area, I measured the darned Kindle. The surface area of the flat side is 56 times that of the edge.

After 10 days or so, I went to the doctor and saw a FNP who was obviously out of her depth. My foot was excruciatingly agonizing and the toes were red/purple/black. There are black spots on the bottoms that look like blood blisters. She sent me for an x-ray.
    'The radiologists report came back with the reason given for the x-ray as contusion to the 5th toe. No damage to the 5th toe (not surprising!) but severe bone erosion of the MTP joints of the 2nd and 3rd toes. I HAVE rheumatoid arthritis and know that I have bone erosion, but it's always been described as mild to moderate.

Thursday I went back to the FNP. She was horrified and had me see the foot orthopedist on Friday. He's making noises about possibly losing my 2 toes and has referred me to a vascular surgeon. If I don't hear back from the surgeon's office by Monday, I'm to call him back.

He hinted around until I came out and said, "No, I do NOT have diabetes. " Because I take prednisone, it's a BOLO, and my A1c is just under the threshold for pre-diabetes. I don't eat sugar any more!

I have increased the number of straight leg raises that I do. That's one of the few exercises that I can do with the arthritis. I think that it improves the circulation. I've increased my spice mix in my food--mustard, ginger, cayenne, turmeric, and black pepper.

Is there anything else I can do that might help? I had been taking 1 morphine tablet a day and 1 or 2 tramadol. I'm now taking 2 morphine and 4 tramadol, and the pain still wakes me up.

Help!

This is NOT medical advice, just a thought. Warm foot baths , perhaps with epsom salts. Heat increases circulation. So does exercise, walking if you can.

I understand pain can be debilitating, but the human machine only works correctly when its in continuous movement.
    Especially important for the feet, due to the venous fluid return mechanism designed into our legs.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Farmermom, I have Lupus arthritis, but no where as bad as what you are describing about yourself. What I have found that really helps me is to take a hot bath with Epsom Salts with a few drops of Eucalyptus oil added. It helps with the inflammation and pain. Also, my Pharmacist told me that she has several Rheumatoid customers who use the Eucalyptus oil directly on inflamed joints as a rub that bring relief. I use it that way, too. Also, Curcumin capsules taken in moderate doses helps with pain and inflammation. I get mine at our local health food store. They're all natural.

I hope that you find relief soon.