Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Elderberry Syrup recipe for flu

Question.....If a health food store carries a good brand of Elderberry syrup, would it be just as good as homemade?

I bought a few bottles for this winter. We set out 2 elderberry bushes back in late summer, but they aren't old enough to have berries, yet.

Sherree... probably. I know, big help! But I bought some from Todd's Honey Gardens online (in fact, it was their syrup which was my "inspiration" when I developed my syrup recipe) and it worked fine.

You can easily buy dried berries and make your own, as well. That's what I did before our bushes got huge (and it's still my "fall back" for years the birds go nuts and eat all the berries before they're ripe!). But I got 5 gallons of berries off two bushes last fall, so we'll be set for awhile. But I'll admit- using dried berries is a WHOLE LOT easier and less messy than juicing fresh ones!

Summerthyme

Thanks Summerthyme. I bought 2 bottles of syrup at the health food store in town. I was hoping that it would be just as good, since I don't have my own berries yet. The lady that owns the store is very knowledgeable, and she said that it was. I wanted to check with you gals to make sure. What I bought doesn't have alcohol in it though. Should I add some, or just use it the way it is? I use alcohol in my homemade cough remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    ... 5 gallons of berries off two bushes last fall, so we'll be set for awhile. But I'll admit- using dried berries is a WHOLE LOT easier and less messy than juicing fresh ones!
    We harvested 5 buckets [5 gallon each] from our elders this year.

You can do it in a manner that is not messy.

When you pick them, immediately put the buckets in a freezer. Then after they are frozen process them to remove the berries form the umbell, and re-freeze them.

We also froze our blueberries this year. Largely because you do not get one single 'harvest'. Rather you get some every week for many weeks.

After all berries were done, then we thawed them and juiced them all together.

We have been using a Kitchen-Aid juicer, but next year we hope to shift to a 5 gallon press.

Sheree... I wouldn't add anything to it. It's likely they have sufficient sugar/honey in there so that it will keep without molding. I add alcohol to the lower-sugar version of mine to help prevent mold, especially since many people like to just leave the bottle either on the kitchen table or in the medicine cabinet. With the lower sugar/honey levels, it really needs refrigeration unless you add enough ETOH to prevent mold growth.

I'd probably refrigerate the commercial stuff after opening, to be safe.

Summerthyme

Thanks Summerthyme. I'll keep it in the fridge.

To add to this thread:

If you can't get ahold of fresh elderberry's, then Gaia of Herbs brand is the next best thing.

Along with a good vitamin d supplement, those 2 seem to have been the most effective at knocking out the flu I had over a weekend.
    I did use other supplements and rememdies like sovereign silver, vitamin c, iosol iodine, multivitamin, fossil shell flour, apple cider vinegar, curamin, olive oil, etc

I hope this helps to compliment anyone's arsenal of natural medicines.
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."