Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Market Reactions to Ukraine

Default Market Reactions to Ukraine

The Real News @therealnews
    Western European Banks Vulnerable to Ukrainian Sovereign Debt Crisis bit.ly/1kV1pEt #Ukraine @Jessica_Reports

Paweł Morski @Pawelmorski
    If my mailbox is any guide, markets not focussed on Crimea. About 4x as much about Chinese currency tweaks vs Soviet nostalgiafest.

Futures opened essentially flat

ETA -- then immediately turn down

BI: Markets @themoneygame
    Markets start the week on a bad note read.bi/1p1uCe2

Michael Kitchen @KitchenNews
    Australia bank stocks help guide market lower -- see our Asia Markets live blog: on.mktw.net/Ouxvc0 $XJO

Michael Kitchen @KitchenNews
    Nikkei futures down 0.3% in Singapore; dollar buys 101.36 yen $NIK $JPY

BI: Markets @themoneygame
    China announced a historic policy shift this weekend. The big question is what happens next. read.bi/1eIzXSX

Helene Meisler @hmeisler
    Full moon tonite

A friend writes --

MARKETS ARE UNDERESTIMATING THE DANGER IN THE UKRAINE
    HOPEFULLY WESTERN GOVERNMENTS ARE NOT

Friday’s rather placid market action suggests that the danger of the Ukrainian situation is not fully appreciated. Now that Putin has rejected the considerable and imaginative efforts of Western governments to give him an “off ramp” to de-escalation, it seems clear that he feels confident enough with the cards he is holding to handle the situation unilaterally with the ultimate objective of binding the Ukraine in the orbit of Russia. If he is to be dissuaded from this dangerous course it is imperative that the West hit him immediately, preferably tomorrow, with full strength economic sanctions that will give him a taste of the difficulties he will face if he persists on this course. Partial measures will not work, as he will simply respond tit for tat while tensions continue to intensify.

There are risks of course, but even greater risks in my opinion if he is not dissuaded from the course he is presently on. One person was killed and 26 injured when opposing crowds of demonstrators clashed in the Eastern city of Donetz yesterday. The Ukraine government blamed instigators coming across the border from Russia, while the Russian government blamed “far-right gangs arriving from other parts of Ukraine armed with clubs and firearms”, adding that, "Russia recognises its responsibility for the lives of countrymen and fellow citizens in Ukraine and reserves the right to take people under its protection", meanwhile massing 10,000 troops on the border.

When bullets start flying and deaths occur events have a way of getting out of hand as every action provokes a counter action. A Russian incursion into Eastern Ukraine will not be a cakewalk like Crimea, because the pro-Russian groups in cities like Donetz and Kharkiv are surrounded by plenty of Ukrainian nationalists in the surrounding countryside and thousands of other nationalists battle hardened in the streets of Kiev will also arrive to engage the enemy. Russian tanks will not be safe from Molotov cocktail throwing street fighters, and in a bloody engagement the Ukrainian army, outnumbered and under equipped as it is, would hardly be able to stand aside. Ukrainians will fight, and it would be a bloody affair.

Angela Merkel and Germany are the key, because Germany has the most extensive economic relations with Russia and is most dependent on Russian supplies of natural gas. Based on her recent remarks, it appears that Merkel is alive to the danger and experienced enough with Putin to understand his state of mind. If Merkel is willing to support full strength sanctions, the U.S., Britain and France will back her up in freezing the assets of Russian oligarchs and businesses and denying Russia access to the international banking and insurance facilities that are vital to moving the oil and gas that provides 30% of Russia’s GDP, 70% of its exports, and well over 50% of its government revenue. Full strength economic sanctions would deal a sharp blow to the Russian economy almost immediately; the ruble would drop further, capital flight would intensify, Russia’s large foreign currency holdings would melt away, the stock market sink further and capital markets would be closed to the Russian government and businesses. The nationalistic fervor currently enchanting the Russian public would quickly fade and opposition to the regime by disgruntled oligarchs and liberals would give Putin much greater discomfort than he is presently anticipating.

The current tentative European economic recovery would be temporarily set back by the effects of such an economic confrontation, but European governments acting decisively have it within their power to offset much of the damage in short order. The pressure on European energy supplies and a rise in the price of oil would be the biggest problem but alternative sources of supply are available and would soon find their way to Europe. Damage to the U.S. economy would be minimal. Western firms with investments in Russia would suffer losses but these would be minor in the overall scheme of things. Western financial markets would be roiled in the short-term, but it is in the nature of markets to bounce back smartly as soon as the dust settles with no long-term damage done.

There is no guarantee that full strength sanctions will cause Putin to reconsider his strategy and adopt a more conciliatory tone, but failure to confront him forcefully almost certainly guarantees a high level of tension for a long period of time that could easily break out at any moment into a bloody conflagration on the doorstep of Europe that would be much more costly in the long run as well as setting a dangerous precedent for other parts of the world.

Your friend might want to watch Jim Sinclair on usa watchdog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KXGPzDq45gM. For fair use to the public by way of u-tube on3-16 -14

I wish I had that kind of optimism in the short term nature of things. But what I learned in 2008 was that it has become impossible to manage - or even imagine - the cascading consequences of economic shocks. And an all out sanction war would be an economic shock of considerable magnitude. To believe that it could be managed or that its consequences would allow the status quo to "bounce back" after a period of manageable turmoil I think is a tad too naive. If that is the prevailing attitude amongst those who know it might explain the wait and see of market reaction. But seriously, after 2008, who could any longer believe such things can be managed? How can you leave "risk off" on such an assumption? Frightening really. Have we learned nothing?

What does your friend say about the US transporting the Ukrainian gold reserve over here? Was that for the good of the "people"?

Well, the market surprised me this morning. Up a bunch, even after NY manufacturing index and NAHB index fell below expectations. (Overall manufacturing showed a gain.)

Key I think was that no one is shooting at anyone right now, and the EU/US sanctions are not serious from an economic point of view, although they will hurt a couple of dozen of Putin's cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by Godwit View Post
    Well, the market surprised me this morning. Up a bunch, even after NY manufacturing index and NAHB index fell below expectations. (Overall manufacturing showed a gain.)

Key I think was that no one is shooting at anyone right now, and the EU/US sanctions are not serious from an economic point of view, although they will hurt a couple of dozen of Putin's cronies.

The reaction did not surprise me, although we will have to wait to find out how long it will last. The reaction was exactly what I expected because
    (in the estimation of many) the Ukraine situation is behind us and we can now resume business as usual. However, in reality, the Ukraine crisis has just
    begun.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System