Thread: Storing Wheat in garage/attic??

Default Storing Wheat in garage/attic??

I was listening again to Wendy Dewitt on you tube with a newish prepper and caught something I hadn't heard before.

She commented that Wheat COULD be stored in really cold/hot temperatures-so it was fine to put in attic, garage, etc.

I was really surprised to hear this. I'm assuming all rodent-proofing measures taken-but has anyone hear done this?

What about dried beans (pintos, etc), Rice? I can free up a lot of room in my "pantry" if I can move the wheat at least.
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I use Gama Lids on 5 gallon pails and store them in a shed. I would think that the added weight in an attic might be hazardous.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

I inherited my grandpa's wheat that had been stored in the attic above his garage. It was at least 20 years old.

Originally I was going to feed it to my chickens. The first bucket I opened look so good, I ground the rest for our own bread.

It had probably lost some nutrients but it was still fine to eat.

Though of course, it is better to store your food storage in a cool environment.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    I use Gama Lids on 5 gallon pails and store them in a shed. I would think that the added weight in an attic might be hazardous.
    Sadly I have no shed (or even space for one). Garage is out-it already has some weird problem when new roof was installed....all tools now rusting :(

I do have some reinforced flooring in the attic, and the areas where the 2 hot water heaters used to sit....so I'm not overly concerned about that.

Just really startled to hear from an LDS seasoned prepper that wheat is not affected by extreme temperatures...
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
    I inherited my grandpa's wheat that had been stored in the attic above his garage. It was at least 20 years old.

Originally I was going to feed it to my chickens. The first bucket I opened look so good, I ground the rest for our own bread.

It had probably lost some nutrients but it was still fine to eat.

Though of course, it is better to store your food storage in a cool environment.
    Thanks Homesteader....good to know!
    ~Pyrate~

John F. Kennedy

PP,

Had a Mormon friend who stored his steel 55 gallon of wheat in the shed in Phoenix, AZ...........It was 25+ years old & still good.

wonderer