Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spaghetti sauce?

Cut up an onion, smash up a few cloves of garlic, and throw them into a pot to simmer in olive oil. When the onions become transparent, you can throw in a couple of cans of crushed tomatoes. Take one of the cans and fill it up with water. For every can of crushed tomatoes, put in a can of water. Then, as that simmers, put in a couple cans of tomato paste. The thicker you want the sauce, the more paste will be needed. Usually two cans of crushed tomatoes works well with two cans of paste.

Here is the secret: Once you get all of this going in the pot, shut it off and throw it all into a crockpot to cook down for a 4-5 hours. This will break down the tomatoes and paste really smooth so it all becomes one sauce that's thick.

Salt and pepper to taste and throw in some fresh oregano at the end (so it doesn't scorch as it's cooking).

If you want to make it even better, quickly saute some mushrooms down to sweat most of the water out and throw them in, too. Meatballs are started in the oven, and finished in the sauce if you want.

I'm convinced the best part of a good sauce is using a crockpot. It's the secret to a really thick, natural sauce. The slow cooking is way more effective than in a pot on the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    My dad made some 'skettis last week and dumped a can of Ro-Tel in to add tomato.

This kicked it up a notch an will be a regular in my recipe.
    I can my own "rotel" type just for this purpose. I also can just peppers so that I have them on hand. I've also canned sauce but prefer to cook it up when spaghetti and garlic toast is on the horizon.

Yum, may be on the menu this week. lol

Quote Originally Posted by abvp View Post
    All the store bought sauce is now bland and watery. Is there a way to make my own spaghetti sauce?
    We buy Hunt's when on sale and add spices such as basil, oregano, bay leaf, more garlic and, onion.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

I use two 12 oz cans of paste and two 15 oz cans of sauce. Dice up several cloves of garlic and a large onion. Sauté in a T of oil. Add paste and sauté some more. Add sauce and two paste cans of water. (Here a whisk is your friend.) Add the spices you want basil, oregano, bay leaf, anise and or fennel, pepper and salt to taste.

Simmer for a couple of hours.

Meat balls are 1# each ground beef and sausage. I use local store breakfast sage sausage. My recipe book calls for just one pound ground lean pork butts.

In a bowl I add two eggs, four slices of bread turned into crumbs in a blender, lots of garlic powder, onion powder, basil, pepper, Romano cheese 1/2 cup grated, salt to taste. Hot red pepper if you want it spicier.

I make the balls and add to sauce raw. Do not stir for at least an hour. Best the next day and you can skim off any fat off the top.

For lasagna mash the meat balls and use the sauce for layering with noodles and cheese.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by doat View Post
    Just doctor up what ever brand sauce you use. Onions, peppers, meat, garlic puree or sauce.
    i do that
    hunts' has a decent starter sauce for 1$ a can

Yep, I won't pass up Hunts or Del Monte spaghetti sauce at 88 cents a can. It happens a couple of times a year and I buy cases. Makes good pizza and lasagna sauce, too when you doctor it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alder View Post
    Yep, I won't pass up Hunts or Del Monte spaghetti sauce at 88 cents a can. It happens a couple of times a year and I buy cases. Makes good pizza and lasagna sauce, too when you doctor it up.
    Are these still made with high fructose corn syrup?

I add about a teaspoon of anchovy paste to my sauce....deepens the flavor without being fishy. A bit of cinnamon is also good.....

Quote Originally Posted by pogonip View Post
    Yes, they are.

I'd been using Prego, and it is thin like water now. It makes the spaghetti soggy.

I buy Francesco Rinaldi...thick, no corn syrup, various good flavors....and a good friend is the plant manager. They use tomatoes from California, not Mexico, not sure what they'll be forced to use this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pogonip View Post
    I Buy Hunt's Pasta Sauce with No Added Sugar and then add garlic and other spices, it comes out pretty good.
    http://www.hunts.com/products/pasta-sauce