Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spaghetti sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    No. Only experts can make spaghetti sauce.
    That is why...
    "All the store bought sauce is now bland and watery."
    One day or Day one?

Agree with Orion C. add tomato paste - I buy the #10 cans from Costco and use a few cups of paste to thicken sauce. This is for a large batch when I can spaghetti sauce.

I usually make from tomatoes from the garden but it would work with store bought. What you do not use on the paste - divide up and freeze. That way next time around you have the paste ready to go. A little goes a long way.

Add your spices as you see fit. I never follow a recipe just add some of this and some of that until it taste right.

The #10 cans of tomato paste are a much better deal then the sauce and not much more expensive. So overall it is a dollar stretcher.
    Ephesians 6:12-13
    We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens. Therefore pick up the full armor of God so that you can stand your ground on the evil day

Rather than take the hours necessary to cook down homemade sauce (especially if I've got a lot of "Non-paste" tomato varieties in there), I grind up a bunch of dehydrated tomatoes from previous years into powder, and add some until I get the thickness I want.

You can also add a bit of cornstarch (make sure you make a paste with it, before adding it, or you'll have lots of lumps to play with!) or something like ClearJel. You could do that with the commercial sauces, too, if the only problem you have with them is a watery texture.

Summerthyme

I've been making this recipe for about 7 years now.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...e-Sauce-105561

and these Meatballs:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...5546?id=105546
    "The key to life is how well you deal with plan B "... Stephen Dias