Thread: baking eggs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default baking eggs?

I saw on a site I was on years ago about baking eggs in the oven using a muffin pan. I don't remember what it said though. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by abvp View Post
    I saw on a site I was on years ago about baking eggs in the oven using a muffin pan. I don't remember what it said though. Does anyone here know how to do that?
    I have tried all suggested manners of taking fresh eggs to get hard boiled ones. No matter what the shells always stuck to the egg.

All failed except the baking part. The first time around I baked at 225 degrees for 25 minutes (I think that was the recommended time). They came out ok but the egg white consistency was a little too gelatineous (sp?) for my taste - kind of turned me off.

They will have minor brown spots on them.

I wanted to try this again as I needed to make potato salad for Easter.

I put in oven at 225 and 25 minutes later went to go take them out...well I got sidetracked and totally forgot them.

I started to smell something really good liked baked goods and then realized that the eggs were still in the oven. It had been about 50 minutes. I figured they were ruined but low and behold they were perfect!

Once you pull them out of oven, put in ice cold water, it will help the shells come off easier and interesting enough the brown spots were not as numerous as the earlier effort.

Hope that helps!
    Kate
    Ephesians 6:12-13
    We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens. Therefore pick up the full armor of God so that you can stand your ground on the evil day

I dunno... are you asking about getting "hard boiled" eggs from the oven? I did try that when it was posted here, but got brownish spots on the whites. I wasn't impressed.

However, when I tried the "put your eggs into BOILING water, bring back to a boil and boil exactly 15 minutes" technique that was posted here, I was amazed! First time I ever got all the eggs to peel perfectly! I decided to put it to the acid test, and used 6 eggs FRESH from the hen- as in, still warm from the nest box. Yep- same result!

For Easter dinner, I boiled 3 dozen eggs and hubby helped me peel them to make Deviled eggs- everyone loves them, but no one likes making them because they can be so darned hard to peel. Again, 100% of them peeled without a problem.

Just make sure your water is boiling when you add them, and that you chill them immediately under COLD running water (or several changes of ice water) when your 15 minutes is up.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    I dunno... are you asking about getting "hard boiled" eggs from the oven? I did try that when it was posted here, but got brownish spots on the whites. I wasn't impressed.

However, when I tried the "put your eggs into BOILING water, bring back to a boil and boil exactly 15 minutes" technique that was posted here, I was amazed! First time I ever got all the eggs to peel perfectly! I decided to put it to the acid test, and used 6 eggs FRESH from the hen- as in, still warm from the nest box. Yep- same result!

For Easter dinner, I boiled 3 dozen eggs and hubby helped me peel them to make Deviled eggs- everyone loves them, but no one likes making them because they can be so darned hard to peel. Again, 100% of them peeled without a problem.

Just make sure your water is boiling when you add them, and that you chill them immediately under COLD running water (or several changes of ice water) when your 15 minutes is up.

Summerthyme

I'm talking about cracking the eggs open, putting the raw eggs into muffin pans and baking them in the oven. I saw a recipe years ago on how to do that but don't remember what to set oven for or how long to bake them.

Ahhh... that was sort of what I thought. Give me a few minutes- I THINK they're called "shirred" eggs (or maybe "coddled" eggs). IIRC, you need to sit the egg cups or muffin pans in a pan of water to cook...Or maybe I don't have a clue! Let me see what I can find.

Summerthyme

Yep:
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes...sic-baked-eggs

A much fancier (and more expensive) version:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...gs-recipe.html

Step by Step:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Shirred-Eggs

I think I was confusing "coddled" eggs with "shirred" eggs- the coddled eggs ARE cooked in water.

Summerthyme