Thread: Dehydrating Canned Diced Tomatoes

Default Dehydrating Canned Diced Tomatoes

Thought I'd pass along a tip for extending the shelf life of expiring cans of diced tomatoes. BTW, I finally got my Excalibur a couple of months back and have been itching to use it.

I realized today that I had about 40 cans of diced tomatoes that were due to expire this month. I know that they are good well beyond the expiration date, especially since I keep them in a root cellar, but I needed to make room on the shelves for some other things. So, I decided to dehydrate them. I simply poured the diced tomatoes into a strainer and let the juice drain into a pot. After about 20 cans and a full dehydrator, I had about a gallon and a half of juice, so then I started simmering the juice until I had tomato paste, which I will use for pizza this weekend. I plan on making tomato powder with the dehydrated tomatoes.

I've also got some #10 cans of fruit that I'm going to do the same thing with. And, I've got several gallons of frozen berries from last year that I need to use up. I'll make syrup with some of them and dehydrate the rest. Gotta free up some space in the freezer for this year's berries.

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Thanks for posting that Babs :)

I've been contemplating dehydrating some cans of things I have.

A couple things I'd read said it was a "last resort" tactic, so I'm wondering
    if/what you've done this for previously-and what effect it had on taste/quality/nutrients.

Thanks!!

Pyrate
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    Thanks for posting that Babs :)

I've been contemplating dehydrating some cans of things I have.

A couple things I'd read said it was a "last resort" tactic, so I'm wondering
    if/what you've done this for previously-and what effect it had on taste/quality/nutrients.

Thanks!!

Pyrate
    I am not sure about the nutritional content, which is why I'm going to powder it. I'll use the powder mostly to flavor chili and soups, and I will use it for things like taco seasoning and sloppy joe seasoning.
    I have never dehydrated canned items before, only fresh. So I'll have to let you know about the taste when I use it.

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Good job on using your head to minimize waste.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Hey and I just found a bonus to opening those aging cans. I don't have to worry so much about the rabbits in the area munching on my tender garden plants.

Cut the lid off the bottom-peeled off the label and "insta-sleeve"
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    So I'll have to let you know about the taste when I use it.
    Babs, did you taste yet?? Would love to know the end result.

Yes, I'd like to know the end result too! I plan to make a lot of tomato powder this year.
    Don't wait to prep when there is an emergency - it's too late.

I wish I had rabbits here to worry about, in 22 years here I have seen one rabbit (2 miles from here).
    Between owls, hawks ,eagles, bobcats, coyotes, and wolves small game stands little chance
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    I wish I had rabbits here to worry about, in 22 years here I have seen one rabbit (2 miles from here).
    Between owls, hawks ,eagles, bobcats, coyotes, and wolves small game stands little chance
    Think cages.
    Educate others to grow our base of informed citizens, it's tyranny. Spread the Gospel.

Prepare wisely individually. An army runs on it's stomach.

Network with those who prepare wisely and take advantage of the strength in numbers and the economy of scale.

Then, when the curtains come down and the truth is evident to an informed citizenry, we unite and fight the new world order.

Quote Originally Posted by ractivist View Post
    Think cages.
    Guanine pigs before rabbits, winters here can be killers
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."