Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a great pizza crust recipe

Default Looking for a great pizza crust recipe

The local store where I had purchased dough for my pizza crusts, for the past 3 years, has gotten out of the Pizza business, in favor of Sushi. Go figure. I've tried finding a substitute dough - not impressed by anything.

The crust I've been using came as frozen dough - when thawed it rose to about 3x the size, and then I rolled it out to about 15inches. I loaded it on a hot stone and baked for 18 minutes at 425. The result was a pizza with crust that was moderately thin in the middle (under the toppings) but crisp, with the edge nicely puffed up and just golden brown.

I'd like to find a recipe for a good crust - and would be happy to try sourdough - so I can dump relying on store-bought dough.

Thanks in advance for any recipes you might share....

PB
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

The pizza dough I like best is just my French recipe. You can find just about anything you ever need to know about bread making here:

http://thefreshloaf.com/

Specifically:
    http://www.thefreshloaf.com/search/node/pizza%20dough
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

Thanks, DunDunDuuun - I'll try something from that site.
    ". . . for the time has come for you to awaken from your slumber. . . " Romans 13:11

I use my french bread recipe also, but substitute in a 1/2 cup of oatmeal for a 1/2 cup of flour, and add 1/4 t each of onion powder and garlic powder. I let it go through the initial rise just like bread dough. I then punch down, knead a few times, and press it out into a greased (I find Crisco works the best) and lightly bread crumbed pizza pan. I let it rise another 20 minutes, then add my toppings.

I bake it in a super hot oven (450), and can get close to the texture/taste of Pizza Hut pan pizza.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

I use this one from Wolfgang Puck:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...-recipe20.html

I usually sub half whole wheat. I find it stretches beautifully - I can make a pretty good NY style thin yet foldable crusted pizza with it. The recipe makes 2 medium pizzas or 4 individual.

I second the freshloaf website - some amazing bread recipes and really good technique on there.

heiwa

1-1/2C flour
    2T EVOO
    2-1/2t yeast
    1-1/2t sugar
    1C water 100-110 degrees

Mix 3mins by hand add 1-1/2C floor kneed let rise 1hr, will make 2 thin crust 12" pizzas or 1 batch peperoni balls.
    I ain't askin' nobody for nothin' if I can't get it on my own
    you don't like the way I'm livin
    you just leave this long-haired country boy alone-CD

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)

True story--one day I wanted to make pizza but didn't have a pre-made crust or crust mix packet. I happened to look at a packet of dry yeast in my pantry, and lo and behold there was a recipe for pizza crust right there on it!

Here it is--

http://www.breadworld.com/Recipe.aspx?id=150
    He said to them,"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Use all whole wheat flour and add cayenne as well as an extra dash of sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Use tomato paste for pizza sauce and add fruit jelly to it.

My recipe for whole wheat crust is:

1 cup of warm water + 3/4 teaspoon of yeast + 1 teaspoon of unprocessed sugar
    2 teaspoons of olive oil
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    2 cups of whole wheat flour (add more if dough is still wet)
    A dash of cayenne, or more if you want
    A dash of sugar
    A dash of cinnamon

Heat the water with the sugar in it, turn off the heat, and wait for it to stop steaming if it is steaming. Add the yeast when it stops steaming. Stir for a minute. If the yeast does not foam after 2 minutes then turn the heat on very low and allow it to heat some more, but don't let it start steaming. It should be warm, but not hot. As warm as you could drink a liquid without discomforting your mouth, really. I don't use a thermometer.

Dump your olive oil, salt, flour, extra teaspoon of sugar, cayenne, and cinnamon into a bowl.

When the yeast has foamed for 5 minutes let it cool, or it will make the dough too sticky. If you add the warm water to the mix stir in more flour until it becomes dry and dough-like. Knead the dough a little bit, and pour a teaspoon of olive oil into the bottom of the bowl and coat the dough ball in it. Let the dough sit covered for half an hour in a warm place. It should rise to twice its size.

You may have to fiddle with the yeast amount depending on your elevation. 1 teaspoon should work for sea level.

Thanks to everyone. I'll try these. We have homemade pizza on Friday, so I'll start this week!

Pretty much my Italian bread recipe, sometimes I add herbs to the dough

4 to 6 cups bread flour (depends on how much crust you want 2 cups for one base)
    2 cups water (or whey is even better - beer or ale also work)
    1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
    About 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp sugar (to raise yeast)
    herb and garlic optional (use dried or fresh)

I use a bread machine and put thing in the order the current machine calls for - you also get wonderful crusts by using sour dough, that's a bit trickier but any recipe for dough Italian or French bread will do. For Italian bread, you can just add the olive oil to most French bread recipes - I find it makes better dough than if I leave it out.

Press out dough with fingers by stretching into a pizza pan or cookie sheet - for thin pizza use a rolling pin and as little dough as you can for slightly thicker to thick cut pizza use the push down with the fingers method.

My family prefers the bases precooked so I cook them about 12 minutes in a hot oven, put on topics and then cook another 12 minutes.

You do not need to let these rise unless you want a deep pan pizza - also you can make these even without yeast but they are a bit heavy, the texture is better with the yeast and allowing the dough to rise once, just don't let it raise to high before baking the pizza.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats