Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Shavuot!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Happy Shavuot!

Lev 23:2 "Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and say to them, ‘The appointed times of יהוה, which you are to proclaim as set-apart gatherings, My appointed times, are these...

Lev 23:21 ‘And on this same day you shall proclaim a set-apart gathering for yourselves, you do no servile work on it – a law forever in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

Act 2:1 And when the Day of the Festival of Weeks had come, they were all with one mind in one place.

Aren't you supposed to not use electricity on the Sabbath?

Not being a jerk. I just thought it was a thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

A happy and blessed Shavuot to all also!!

Sundown on Sat.
    Zionist...

Thumbs up You’re correct!

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post

Not being a jerk. I just thought it was a thing.
    The Bible says one should refrain from work on the Sabbath, and the Bible includes the kindling of fire as work (Exodus 35:3).

Many Orthodox Jews consider electricity to be a form of fire. These Jews do not turn on lights, ovens, televisions, radios and other electrical appliances on the Sabbath. Instead, prior to the start of the Sabbath, they often plug their electrical appliances into special "Shabbat clocks" which turn the lights, air conditioners, ovens, ... on and off at pre-set times.

Some believe that electricity is not truly fire. However, they still believe in banning the use of electricity on the Sabbath as a way to prevent Jews from violating the Sabbath by doing work that can stem from the use of electricity.

Baruch Shavuot Mispacha. May your ketubah be full of promise and expectation......

....and many Jews use electricity on Shabbat. It all depends on their tradition and what midrash they follow.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Chag Sameach Mishpocha!!!

Whiskey Reb, nice to see you!! Hope you all have a wonderful Shavuot!

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Great question!

Orthodox Judaism has imposed burdens on the simplicity of Sabbath that were never intended; the ma'asim and takanot-oral laws and traditions that Yeshua was opposed to.

Mar 2:27 And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Mar 7:9 And He said to them, "Well do you set aside the command of Elohim, in order to guard your tradition.

The basic principle for Sabbath is simple--rest; no work. We don't have to spend time "gathering electricity" (think gathering sticks for a fire) on Shabbat... my solar panels take care of that!

He gives us six days to get our "sticks gathered" that we may have time for a non work-related rest day; a memorial of Creation when He too rested on the 7th day, as well as looking forward to the 7th "day" that will be 1000 years upon His return.

Shalom!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    Great question!

Orthodox Judaism has imposed burdens on the simplicity of Sabbath that were never intended; the ma'asim and takanot-oral laws and traditions that Yeshua was opposed to.

Mar 2:27 And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Mar 7:9 And He said to them, "Well do you set aside the command of Elohim, in order to guard your tradition.

The basic principle for Sabbath is simple--rest; no work. We don't have to spend time "gathering electricity" (think gathering sticks for a fire) on Shabbat... my solar panels take care of that!

He gives us six days to get our "sticks gathered" that we may have time for a non work-related rest day; a memorial of Creation when He too rested on the 7th day, as well as looking forward to the 7th "day" that will be 1000 years upon His return.

Shalom!
    For some reason, I feel wrong if there isn't tape holding switches down. Much less being on the interwebs.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

Blessings dear ones!

And there ARE confusions between Rabinic Judaism and the heart relationship Yah intended to have with us. It often gets mixed in and confused by many.

It doesn't mean we should discredit every word that comes from their mouths/writings as they can give us important insight into how things got to be the way they are or why they did as they did, as well as examples of how not to add to/take away from the word. I certainly find such valuable when trying to understand the culture from where Y'shuah came from, and what he lived with/experienced to gain deeper insight into where he was coming from.

But all in all, I agree with Al regarding adding complication to the simplicity of the word/sabbath etc.

In Christianity we have very similar traditions such as trees, holly, fruitcakes, mistletoe, santa claws etc at christimas, when in fact they were not part of the original birth of Y'shuah as written in the Bible. Where did that stuff all come from? They are traditions of men.

We certainly can't kick the additional laws of rabbis (men) without looking in the mirror at ourselves and making righteous corrections in our own beliefs and behaviors.

That's how I look at it, anyway.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore