Thread: Dill pickles

Default Dill pickles

I am awash in cukes. What is the easiest and fastest way of making dill pickles? Haven't made any in 40 years but still have the crock. But isn't a way now of doing them in jars? TA
    Taz

Here's how I make my Garlic and dill pickles.

I make the Pickle Brine first:

1 cup Morton Course Kosher Salt
    1 Qt White Distilled Vinegar
    3 Qt Water
    Bring it to a BOIL

I've already sterilized the Qt canning jars and lids.

Add 2 Cloves of Garlic cut in half and 1 or 2 Stalks of Dill to the sterile jars. Depends on how much garlic and dill taste you want.

Pack the cukes in the jar as full as possible, if you like your pickles quartered, do that before packing.

Once the jars are packed with the cukes add the Pickle Brine to within an inch from the top of the jars.

Then I water-bath can them.

Thank you...am printing recipe out now.

How long do you boil them? Twenty minutes?
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lraiser View Post
    Here's how I make my Garlic and dill pickles.

I make the Pickle Brine first:

1 cup Morton Course Kosher Salt
    1 Qt White Distilled Vinegar
    3 Qt Water
    Bring it to a BOIL

I've already sterilized the Qt canning jars and lids.

Add 2 Cloves of Garlic cut in half and 1 or 2 Stalks of Dill to the sterile jars. Depends on how much garlic and dill taste you want.

Pack the cukes in the jar as full as possible, if you like your pickles quartered, do that before packing.

Once the jars are packed with the cukes add the Pickle Brine to within an inch from the top of the jars.

Then I water-bath can them.
    This is pretty close to the same recipe I use. It makes excellent kosher dills!

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Does anybody salt brine the cukes over night before canning?

I once had a recipe that required the over night or 24 hr. salt brine before canning, and then a brine was made for putting into the jars with the cukes. You had to de-salt the cukes before putting them into the jars. I lost the recipe, but it made the very best pickles I'd ever made, and they never did go limp with time while in the jar.

Does anybody use a recipe like that?
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore