Page 13 of 238 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola News Digest

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    The conspiracy nut in me sees this as a statement written as blandly as humanly possible, but could mean a number of different things. I particularly key on to the "...50 more disease-control experts should arrive there in the next 30 days..." statement. The "30 days" number is a red herring. Sure, it could take 30 days to get the experts in place, which makes it sound comfortingly low-speed and unalarming. Of course, there is nothing keeping the CDC from shoving them all on a plane as we speak and getting them there by tomorrow morning. Similarly, there is no impediment in sending more than 50 experts over any time interval they wish, 50 is just a minimum quantity. They've merely picked numbers that imply a lack of urgency, as a means of misdirection.
    In fairness, that 30 days may be related to people whose regular jobs are not at the CDC, but who are on a list of people to deploy. SOmewhat like Army Reserve, if you will. They likely need a bit of time to make arrangements, etc.

What concerns me is the precedent we set by bringing our folks back here for treatment. Now, Spain is doing the same with a priest. I am concerned other countries will follow suit, and they will not have the appropriate facilities. We broke quarantine, and other countries will too, now. Every time that happens, the odds of breaking containment increase.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
    • Pray
    • Prep
    • Patience

The conspiracy nut in me sees this as a statement written as blandly as humanly possible, but could mean a number of different things. I particularly key on to the "...50 more disease-control experts should arrive there in the next 30 days..." statement. The "30 days" number is a red herring. Sure, it could take 30 days to get the experts in place, which makes it sound comfortingly low-speed and unalarming. Of course, there is nothing keeping the CDC from shoving them all on a plane as we speak and getting them there by tomorrow morning. Similarly, there is no impediment in sending more than 50 experts over any time interval they wish, 50 is just a minimum quantity. They've merely picked numbers that imply a lack of urgency, as a means of misdirection.
    Your reciting the 2nd act of every Plague Movie since The Satan Bug
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    Unofficial poll: Do you believe it? Y or N
    In this specific case, yes.

I monitor the NYC media daily. Millions of citizens in that city, alone, have a vested interest in public health campaigns to control virulent disease.

I see no reason why NYC local authorities would fake these results.

As bad as it gets, or may get, everything is not a conspiracy.

Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows. - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Silverheart View Post
    In fairness, that 30 days may be related to people whose regular jobs are not at the CDC, but who are on a list of people to deploy. SOmewhat like Army Reserve, if you will. They likely need a bit of time to make arrangements, etc.

What concerns me is the precedent we set by bringing our folks back here for treatment. Now, Spain is doing the same with a priest. I am concerned other countries will follow suit, and they will not have the appropriate facilities. We broke quarantine, and other countries will too, now. Every time that happens, the odds of breaking containment increase.
    My point about the 30 days and the 50 experts is that they aren't actually hard numbers, they're part of a range. They just lend an impression of a specific plan of action, when the actual plan of action could easily be more frenetic.

As for our self-exposure, yeah, that's pretty dumb.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    Your reciting the 2nd act of every Plague Movie since The Satan Bug
    No Lenno, I'm not. I'm just being logical. Neither denialist nor emotional.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times

Please expound on you logic:
    How many PPL have died of Ebola inside the USA?
    How many have contracted it inside the USA?
    How does this threat compare with Fukashima?
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    Please expound on you logic:
    How many PPL have died of Ebola inside the USA?
    How many have contracted it inside the USA?
    How does this threat compare with Fukashima?
    I'm using logic to show that the official communications from the CDC are being written in a way that allows for one impression of reality and a completely different reality in practice. I admit that it is speculative, since we've been given so little in the way of facts to work with.

I had no commentary on the other subjects you're bringing up, other than to say that obviously we do have multiple things dividing the attention and energy of humanity. But to answer them here:

I don't know. That information is part of a shell game.
    I don't know. The same shell game, though I would expect a definite change in the trend as time goes by. Apparently, the CDC agrees, as it is starting up its operations at its highest level of emergency.
    I don't know. Given how much fog Tepco has billowed out on the matter, that is a difficult to assess.

Outbound

The Frigid Times

My point about the 30 days and the 50 experts is that they aren't actually hard numbers, they're part of a range. They just lend an impression of a specific plan of action, when the actual plan of action could easily be more frenetic.

As for our self-exposure, yeah, that's pretty dumb.
    You didn't mention the 70 virgins.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
    • Pray
    • Prep
    • Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Silverheart View Post
    You didn't mention the 70 virgins.
    Wrong thread old buddy.

Outbound

The Frigid Times

Someone over at TB posted an article about Obama hosting those African leaders. It was mentioned in that article that Jill Biden had visited Sierra Leone last month.

Hopefully she won't develop any Ebola symptoms. I wonder if she is taking her temp every day.