Page 4 of 238 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola News Digest

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    well, it is STILL only around 50% mortality if that helps any..in fact i think it dipped towards 50% from 56%..
    World Health Organization says Ebola death toll rises to 887, out of 1,603 cases - @Reuters
    The still-high death rate multiplied by the highly-contagious nature of the virus still returns a high number of deaths, and a great deal of suffering for many.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    The still-high death rate multiplied by the highly-contagious nature of the virus still returns a high number of deaths, and a great deal of suffering for many.
    meh,,super MRSA has a 50% mortality rate and kills an estimated 10,000 a year in this country..and its EVERYWHERE now.. i am no more worried about ebola than i am super MRSA. and thats not much.

but is an interesting news story to follow..
    nemophilist.

meh,,super MRSA has a 50% mortality rate and kills an estimated 10,000 a year in this country..and its EVERYWHERE now.. i am no more worried about ebola than i am super MRSA. and thats not much.

I sincerely hope your "meh" turns out to be the case.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

But at least they have antibiotics for that. I had to blow through all of them till the vancomycin finally got me out of ICU...but it worked. I suspect none of your "average Joe's" are going to be given "super secret vials" of treatment if this thing DOES blow out-
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    But at least they have antibiotics for that. I had to blow through all of them till the vancomycin finally got me out of ICU...but it worked. I suspect none of your "average Joe's" are going to be given "super secret vials" of treatment if this thing DOES blow out-
    umm,,no,, no not really,,i mean if you are lucky,and have a healthy immune system,they work,,half the time..that is why it has a 50% mortality rate..

antibiotics still work on the lesser strains,but not so much the super.. i dont see where they would pump an "average joe" full of state of the art antibiotics to try and save them,anymore than a state of the art vial of whatever for ebola.. JMO.. btw, counting ALL strains of MRSA,23,000 die a year from it in this country..even with antibiotics..
    nemophilist.

Pyrate Princess:
    I've been trying to follow the thread over on TB2K, while my account is being set up. There is a debate what "airborne" means/doesn't mean... and I've already gone through this on yet another forum. There is a difference in meaning between scientists and lay people... so technically, the scientists are correct that "technically" there's no evidence that it's "airborne".

HOWEVER: us ordinary folk consider droplets sprayed through coughing/sneezing - which can remain effective according to the scientists "some days" (love the specificity!) - AIRBORNE. This is where the confusion is coming in. And it makes ALL the DIFFERENCE as to how someone chooses to protect themselves. Masks, gloves and bleach all seem quite reasonable precautions and that is what needs to be conveyed, so that someone doesn't decide to listen to the official "it's not airborne" and NOT take precautions. That could un-necessarily speed up a spread and we don't want that.

Could you please make my case for me, until my account is active? I would appreciate that!
    Merci Buckets.
    Last edited by sacajawea; 08-04-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: dang typos

umm,,no,, no not really,,i mean if you are lucky,and have a healthy immune system,they work,,half the time..that is why it has a 50% mortality rate..

antibiotics still work on the lesser strains,but not so much the super.. i dont see where they would pump an "average joe" full of state of the art antibiotics to try and save them,anymore than a state of the art vial of whatever for ebola.. JMO.. btw, counting ALL strains of MRSA,23,000 die a year from it in this country..even with antibiotics..
    I was in ICU with it while going through Chemo AND radiation therapy. My white cell count was (IIRC) 3. Yep, 3. I'm also resistant to some antibiotics, which maybe why they had to use the vanco. So, zero immunity. Just saying...
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

'Odds are it's not Ebola,' says Dr. Jeremy Boal, chief medical officer at Mount Sinai Hospital, of patient in isolation - @NYDailyNews

Read more on nydailynews.com
    nemophilist.

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    I was in ICU with it while going through Chemo AND radiation therapy. My white cell count was (IIRC) 3. Yep, 3. I'm also resistant to some antibiotics, which maybe why they had to use the vanco. So, zero immunity. Just saying...

all i know is a 50% mortality rate is just that.. and the new super strain has a 50% mortality rate.. so either they are letting half those who contract it just do without antibiotics,or they are not working on half those who contract it.. the fact remains,it kills 10,000 a year in this country and has the same mortality rate as this current ebola outbreak.. just sayin..
    nemophilist.