Page 5 of 238 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola News Digest

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    also from cnn: about Dr. Brantly in Atlanta: Ebola patient walks into Atlanta hospital; wife sees him through glass.

So, the wife who was with him TWO days before he "collapsed" is moving around atlanta? Nice....
    Was my understanding she had not gone to Africa with him.
    Curious where this came from.
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Was my understanding she had not gone to Africa with him.
    Curious where this came from.
    She worked with him some there. They flew home to attend a wedding. Story was in almost every report.

Here's one from the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/29/doctor-...solation-unit/

They were supposed to be in a "fever watch" in Texas for 21 days....
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ebola resides in the fluids of infected mammals, it is a virus, extremely small, small enough to float in the air on dust particles, how long can it survive outside the host? That depends on conditions, in a humid tropical environment a few days, in a desert environment a few minutes, several Europeans got Ebola when they visited a bat cave. It is most easily transmitted through body fluids like mucous, blood etc. In previous outbreaks family and others who cared for the sick were the next to be infected through fluids. African burials often involve family members disemboweling the deceased. The whole "It takes a village" approach of many tribes ensures lots of opportunity for infection in cultures who do not practice sanitation. Catching Ebola like one catches the flu is extremely unlikely.
    In the same time period that 800-1000 people will die from Ebola 10,000's will die from diarrhea or AIDS or Rickets or a dozen other illnesses.
    There is a reason that Asia and Africa are breeding grounds for new diseases that spread through the population and that reason is a lack of basic sanitation procedures
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    'Odds are it's not Ebola,' says Dr. Jeremy Boal, chief medical officer at Mount Sinai Hospital, of patient in isolation - @NYDailyNews

Read more on nydailynews.com
    Important excerpt from this linked article.

The man is in “strict isolation” and being tested to determine what is causing his sickness. But hospital officials tried to downplay the possibility the patient has the lethal virus, saying, "Odds are, it's not Ebola," at a 6 p.m. press conference.

"It's much more likely that this is a much more common condition," said Dr. Jeremy Boal, the hospital's chief medical officer.

Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and results are expected within 24 to 48 hours.

"We believe we have all the necessary facilities to treat a patient with Ebola disease," said Dr. David Reich, the hospital president and chief operating officer. "Thus far, we've had no other patients with similar symptoms and travel history."

Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows. - Nietzsche

Can someone explain this. News on the NY guy said samples sent to CDC and will take 24 to 48 hours for results, but the woman in England's test was almost immediate to say no Ebola. So did a preliminary test in NY determine a positive and needs to do a full test in Atlanta? Why else would the Sample go to the CDC? Hospitals must have spot tests.

Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    Can someone explain this. News on the NY guy said samples sent to CDC and will take 24 to 48 hours for results, but the woman in England's test was almost immediate to say no Ebola. So did a preliminary test in NY determine a positive and needs to do a full test in Atlanta? Why else would the Sample go to the CDC? Hospitals must have spot tests.
    I just posed the same question to my wife.
    The number of health worker victims is also troubling. 5% may be dumb bunnies, 5% from true accidents, the rest of the people are trained and aware of the danger, much different folk that those in the villages.
    SS
    Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    There is an ELISA test (google it) that works in about 4 hours (plus or minus... I'm speaking of ELISA tests in general). It's good, but not perfect. The other test is where they'll actually try to grow out the "causative organism" and identify it by actually physically looking at it under an electron microscope. Obviously, not many hospitals will have those facilities, much less facilities suitable for handling a Grade 4 microorganism..

When they hadn't released the "quick" test results at first today, I got a little more nervous... I figured it was positive, and they weren't going to release the results until they actually, visually identified the Ebola virus.

That still is a possibility, which, depending on where this guy was and what he did before he walked into the Mt Sinai emergency room, would give us about 60 more hours before the panic starts spreading.

Summerthyme

wife just read the super duper serum is indeed made from nicotine.. some company from san diego made it..
    nemophilist.

Most hospitals don't have even the rapid test for ebola. When would they use it? The reagents have a limited shelf life. Major regional academic hospitals might and the CDC may have sent some to hospitals in major ports by now. Otherwise, either the sample is going to the CDC by courier or the ELISA reagents by overnight shipping.

In the UK, the HPA is also in London, so it would be easy to get it done the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    wife just read the super duper serum is indeed made from nicotine.. some company from san diego made it..
    It is just antibody cells grown in a genetically engineered tobacco plant. Tobacco is a common plant to use for this sort of thing because its genome is well known and it is easily altered by bacteria.