Thread: Recommend a clothes drying rack big enough for a whole load of laundry?

Default Recommend a clothes drying rack big enough for a whole load of laundry?

Hi all,

We're really trying to cut down on our electrical & propane use this year. The vast majority of laundry I've been drying outside as usual this year (except for the days then the neighbor is spreading liquid manure....... if I happen to be doing laundry and see him heading out, in the dryer it goes!! )

But for this winter, I'd like to set up a drying rack in front of the wood stove.

The little wooden thing I have now holds may 1/4 -1/3 of a load of laundry. If I do 2 loads, I could have 8 drying racks sitting in the living room. With little kids, this just isn't feasible.

It looks like this:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rack or style of rack that can hold a whole load's worth? What do you all do?
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

I've got one that holds more than half a load, but it's very similar to yours, only metal. I guess your laundry loads are bigger than mine? I use the whole rack for smaller items (kids clothes, underwear, etc.) - including the diagonals and the ends of the top rows (mostly for socks). And I hang underwear on the corner posts at the top I bought this in 2/2009 from amazon and use it all winter long - as well as supplementing the clothesline in summer and it's still going strong.

Can't upload the image but here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the rest of the items (large stuff - adult shirts, pants, towels, etc.) I use one that's similar to this, since they'd take up most of the space on the other rack:
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/c...drying-rack.do

Last edited by bbkaren; 08-17-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Hit "submit" too soon

I got a good-quality rolling clothes bar and sometimes dry lots of clothes on it by using wire or plastic coathangers. I use clothespins to hold jeans or large-waisted sweatpants on the hangers.

When I used my central furnace, I used to put the hangers on the shower curtaiin rod.. Everything would be dry by morning. Be sure the rod is well-tightened and you might get three loads of clothes on it.

I just used the wooden folding racks for socks, underwear and washcloths.

Carol

I have this on our enclosed back porch:

Moerman Laundry Solutions Y-Airer Indoor Folding Clothes Drying Rack (Up to 79 Feet Of Drying Space)

People in the reviews say they get 2-3 loads on it. I can't and do not know how they do it. One reviewer said she scoffed at the 2-3 loads when first using it but became more efficient at loading it so now takes back what she said earlier though she noticed drying takes longer the more you put on it (makes sense). I have not become more efficient but do like it. Maybe I should work on this more and would find that it, as one reviewer says, "eliminates the need for a dryer." Doubtful, but I'll try . . . some day

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

I bought two of THESE https://www.lehmans.com/p-5353-premi...ers-large.aspx about 25 years ago. I haven't used them for laundry much, but they're the only racks which have held up to me loading them with hundreds of bunches of herbs and sometimes even heavier stuff like popcorn to dry.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    I bought two of THESE https://www.lehmans.com/p-5353-premi...ers-large.aspx about 25 years ago. I haven't used them for laundry much, but they're the only racks which have held up to me loading them with hundreds of bunches of herbs and sometimes even heavier stuff like popcorn to dry.

Summerthyme
    I have this one, too, and use it ALL the time! They had three sizes; I got the large. It will dry a large load of jeans no problem! It's really big... maybe bigger than the space you have available, so check out the measurements. And it's expensive, but seems like it will hold up to a lot of use for decades.

Mine arrived with one broken crossbar -- I contacted Lehmans and they promptly sent me another crossbar.

Seriously, if you want a real heavy-duty rack, get this one!