Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother Arrested in South Carolina for Swearing in Kroger

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker11 View Post
    Be careful with that. I do not like cussing either, but all we need now is for our speech to be policed further ...
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by RightWinger View Post
    I'm somewhat glad to hear it. Way to much cussing and swearing in public for me to want to listen to.
    I can't wait for the JBTs to start arresting those with "honor student" bumper stickers; way too much pride and conceit in public for me to want to deal with. I feel so much safer when my insecurities and sensibilities are coddled by public enforcers with guns.

Oh, and !@#$ you, you know what I mean....

I'd expect this in a muslim theocracy but not in a place that prides itself in free speech---another person's words are none of my business and vice versa

I'm somewhat glad to hear it. Way to much cussing and swearing in public for me to want to listen to.
    Just wait until the word "God" is declared profane, you'll love that. Or the word "freedom".
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

There is quite a difference between North and South on the issue of profanity. Dh is a ham operator, and hams -- as a general rule -- don't use foul language on the radio. But Dh also enjoys talking with the local folk on CB. That said, you can always tell when skip is coming in from up north or from Florida, because "northerners" don't even realize how foul their language is to Southern ears. You hear the F-word and GD as much as on a Bruce Willis film. It's appalling how filthy their language is. We always just turn the radio off when that starts up. However, if you are in a public place and someone talks like that, there is no escaping it.

I don't know all the details related to the OP, but IF the listener asked the speaker not to talk like that in front of children, and then got chewed out, I can see MAYBE calling the management of the store. I would not call the police. I don't call the police unless there is blood on the ground. If she just OVERHEARD the woman talking like a street tramp, she should have talked to the street tramp about it, not the cops.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Come out to the junkyard and listen to some of our bs sessions.No swearing at all will be heard...Really I mean it
    Although I agree a public place is not where to use them,,turning people into the thought police when you hear it is part of whats wrong with America(land of the free)today.........

Yes, I agree that I wouldn’t want foul language to become something that needs police action, which is why I used the word ‘somewhat’ in my post. I also agree that another person’s words should be none of our business, until they say it loud enough for us to hear it. Free speech does come with some responsibilities.

As grower mentioned, location can make quite a difference in the use of offensive language. Also, educated vs. poorly educated, and social status seems to make a difference.

The use of any form of ‘ghetto language’ within hearing range of most morally correct people is offensive. (Yes, I fully realize that no one has a ‘right’ to not be offended). I’m not sure why the offensive people use the gutter language that they do. Could be from their parents or other family that are either ignorant, or perhaps use it because they subconsciously picked it up from some of their low-life speaking friends or associates.

Unfortunately, somewhat like drunks who don’t realize they drink too much, the people that use foul language normally don’t realize it either. They will typically attempt to foolishly defend it and no amount of moral reasoning will usually get through to them, so discussing it is typically a waste of time. I’ve found its best to discontinue talking to them. Usually no big deal, as the vast majority of successful people stay away from it.

Another reason some people may use foul language is to put emphasis on what they are attempting to communicate. In a limited amount, this usage may have some value, but naturally if the foul language is overused, it loses the emphasis.

Another problem with the foul language is the actual communication itself, as there is normally more than one way to interpret the word. Because the person speaking (or typing) doesn’t have the ability or decency to use a word that has real value in their thought process mis-communication can easily result from those that are ‘verbally-challenged’.

Oh, by the way saulteux, I fixed it for you and you’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by saulteux View Post
    Oh, and Love you, you know what I mean....

“He was like, ‘You’re under arrest’…right in front of kids, in front of my husband, in front of customers.”
    SO, it was perfectly okay with her to use foul language to her husband, in front of her kids, and in front of God and everybody, in a public place, but being called on and arrested for that same exact behavior humiliates her. Too bad. If Southerners have greater sensibilities to the use of swearing and/or foul language than where she came from, she should get a clue. Old saying, very good for survival: When in Rome.... I lived in the South. Very strange place in some ways. But I had sense enough to keep eyes and ears open and blend. Even picked up a southern accent that lasted a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    SO, it was perfectly okay with her to use foul language to her husband, in front of her kids, and in front of God and everybody, in a public place, but being called on and arrested for that same exact behavior humiliates her.
    That is not being proposed, at all. But being arrested for dropping an F-bomb? Yeah, that's waaaay too far. Of course it was more embarrassing than dropping it in front of her family.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by saulteux View Post
    I can't wait for the JBTs to start arresting those with "honor student" bumper stickers; way too much pride and conceit in public for me to want to deal with. I feel so much safer when my insecurities and sensibilities are coddled by public enforcers with guns.

Oh, and !@#$ you, you know what I mean....
    or arresting folks for saying "bless you" in public.. i mean it may offend someone who does not want to hear such religious based phrases uttered.. we are already half way there.suspending students for saying it in class. will not be long..

Teen suspended after saying 'bless you' to another student

bet folks will not see that the same.. but in truth,they are ALL just words that we CHOOSE to selectively be offended by..
    nemophilist.