Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: St. Louis Police Release Video Of Kajieme Powell Shooting: Contradicts Officers Story

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulSkeptic View Post
    I don't fault the cops in this case as they were most probably following protocol. We can't ask them to do otherwise or we'll have armed judge/jury/executioners policing the streets. I'm just wondering how the protocol is established. Maybe they have damned good reason for not futzing with a tazer in this type of case. I don't know.
    I think they pulled up too close to begin with. With two officers a plan that included both lethal and nonlethal response was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditious View Post
    I think they pulled up too close to begin with.
    In hindsight, yes. Thing is, they probably have to worry about hostage situations or that a knife may not be the only weapon. Looking at it after the fact ( which is easy to do ), they could have taken him down with baseball bats.
    When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to a quest for power. Alston Chase

The easiest way to fleece people, is one dollar at a time. Faithful Skeptic

The Three Phases of Life
    Young: Have time, have ambition, have no money.
    Mid Life: Have ambition, have money, have no time.
    Old: Have time, have money, have no ambition.

In hindsight, yes. Thing is, they probably have to worry about hostage situations or that a knife may not be the only weapon. Looking at it after the fact ( which is easy to do ), they could have taken him down with baseball bats.
    I wouldn't recommend or allow police get that close to a 'crazed man with a knife, property crime, no injuries' situation. They make very effective baton firing weapons with good accuracy out past 40 meters. A tazer is not appropriate for a man with a knife.

I think a lot of people feel the protocol is excessive, and viewing the case after the fact it appears that way. Hold the cops to higher, fussier standards where they have to weigh too many details in quick situations and be held accountable ... then we can't be surprised when they don't take action or nobody joins the force. It's a tough balance and one for which I would not want to be responsible.

Sad thing in this case, after viewing it again, is it almost seems like the guy wanted to be shot.
    When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to a quest for power. Alston Chase

The easiest way to fleece people, is one dollar at a time. Faithful Skeptic

The Three Phases of Life
    Young: Have time, have ambition, have no money.
    Mid Life: Have ambition, have money, have no time.
    Old: Have time, have money, have no ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrodon View Post
    There are probably just as many instances where it wasn't so "successful" too.
    When you are the one facing the guy with the knife, you can use whichever option you prefer
    Agreed.

All the training I've had in force-on-force (knife on gun, knife on knife, and knife on bare hands) has led me to conclude that an agitated person brandishing a knife is extremely dangerous; I'll perforate repeatedly till down. I'll not condemn a cop for doing exactly as I would.

I'm not intending to be a bastard; the following is intended to convey the seriousness of knives: those who say that employing, as a matter of policy, non lethal means to deal with an agitated man with a knife have no idea what the **** they're talking about.

Sad thing in this case, after viewing it again, is it almost seems like the guy wanted to be shot.
    whats sad is "suicide by cop" has became a well known phrase. and "suicide by cop" has became a viable option. that is whats sad..
    nemophilist.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    whats sad is "suicide by cop" has became a well known phrase. and "suicide by cop" has became a viable option. that is whats sad..
    State sanctioned assisted suicide courtesy of "Officer Kevorkian".