Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattle prices soaring in our area, expected to go higher

Default Cattle prices soaring in our area, expected to go higher

A relative sold three calves at the cattle barn last week. Each of the calves weight was
    about 530 lbs. . The average price he received per calf was almost $1200.00 .

He said many cattlemen in our area are selling everything they can. The problem is, that
    this will make the cattle shortage much worse.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

i just saw yesterday where in newfoundland canada they are going for 3 bucks a pound on the hoof..
    nemophilist.

$3.00 a pound going at our markets on yearlings now, $1200 to $1500 a head, compared to $700 - $800 a year or so ago... Everything but horses are up, good horses getting no sales or selling under $200 a head now. Barred rock hens at laying age were driving up to $10 a head last thursday.... Ground beef will hit $7.00 a pound if the market keeps climbing as I think it has to. The droughts in the west and calf prices are keeping the herd sizes down. Not to mention grain and hay price futures.... I believe families without farm land are going to struggle to feed themselves before long.

Also, here is West Virginia, we got a notice from the local Youth Livestock Sale. It said that in accordance with state directives this fall's sale would be a "terminal" sale for hogs, meaning that all hogs would go directly to the slaughter house (of buyer's choice) from the sale. No hogs to go back to the farm. I'm assuming to prevent the hog virus from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by wvstuck View Post
    $3.00 a pound going at our markets on yearlings now, $1200 to $1500 a head, compared to $700 - $800 a year or so ago... Everything but horses are up, good horses getting no sales or selling under $200 a head now. Barred rock hens at laying age were driving up to $10 a head last thursday.... Ground beef will hit $7.00 a pound if the market keeps climbing as I think it has to. The droughts in the west and calf prices are keeping the herd sizes down. Not to mention grain and hay price futures.... I believe families without farm land are going to struggle to feed themselves before long.
    Given what's been happening with the weather lately, families WITH farm land aren't likely to fare much better. Those same droughts you mention are likely to make even growing subsistence foodstuffs a difficult if downright impossible prospect.

i guess that would depend on location.. i cant think of a year where the entire united states was in drought,,ever.. and drought in areas that normally receive 50,60,70 inches of rain a year is not the same as areas that only receive 10,20 or 30 inches a year..
    nemophilist.

Brake out the Tofu.

Quote Originally Posted by doat View Post
    Brake out the Tofu.
    Week before last here feeders were $3.25-$3.50/lb

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    i guess that would depend on location.. i cant think of a year where the entire united states was in drought,,ever.. and drought in areas that normally receive 50,60,70 inches of rain a year is not the same as areas that only receive 10,20 or 30 inches a year..
    Plenty of rain in Wisconsin, but it was a cold summer.

Quote Originally Posted by moestooge View Post
    Plenty of rain in Wisconsin, but it was a cold summer.
    any farmer will tell you,too much rain is far worse than not enough..
    nemophilist.