Thread: Low Carb French Fries (or what to do will all those eggplants from the garden)

Default Low Carb French Fries (or what to do will all those eggplants from the garden)

We had a bumper crop of eggplants this year and I was running out of ideas to use them up. Found a recipe to turn them into French fries and oh my goodness, they are good! In my opinion, they are just as good as potato fries only a lot less carbs.

The very best part about them, though, is that they can be frozen for later and don't get soggy. Just reheat in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes or until hot, but watch carefully to prevent over browning.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...t-Fries-366730

***My Notes
    Add 1/3 cup regular salt to the soaking water to help remove any bitterness from the eggplant.

Substitute for za'atar seasoning: 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried thyme, 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Make sure to taste for salt prior to adding more after frying. Mine really didn't need any extra due to the addition during the cold water soak.

Thanks for this Parakeet!

Our son's epilepsy is being controlled with a very low carb/ very high fat diet - no seizures in 11 months now and all his tests coming back normal!!! He really misses fries though. The recipe book provided by the hospital suggests using turnips but he didn't like those at all. I'll give yours a try and see what he thinks.

Thanks so much!

You're welcome, threecreeks. Hope he likes them!

I eat low carb and gluten free. This sounds like a great recipe to try. I've done other low carb "fries" with turnips before, too. They turn out alright as well. I try to steer clear of nightshades altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Parakeet View Post
    We had a bumper crop of eggplants this year and I was running out of ideas to use them up. Found a recipe to turn them into French fries and oh my goodness, they are good! In my opinion, they are just as good as potato fries only a lot less carbs.

The very best part about them, though, is that they can be frozen for later and don't get soggy. Just reheat in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes or until hot, but watch carefully to prevent over browning.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...t-Fries-366730

***My Notes
    Add 1/3 cup regular salt to the soaking water to help remove any bitterness from the eggplant.

Substitute for za'atar seasoning: 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried thyme, 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Make sure to taste for salt prior to adding more after frying. Mine really didn't need any extra due to the addition during the cold water soak.