Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staples threatens to fire employees who work more than 25 hours a week

Sometimes I have to go to two jobs in one day. That means eating lunch or dinner in my car.

I've also had to work at job A in the morning, then job B in the afternoon, and then go back to job A in the evening.

Again, one job, ONE PLACE, 40 hours per week.

I'm not French.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Sometimes I have to go to two jobs in one day. That means eating lunch or dinner in my car.

I've also had to work at job A in the morning, then job B in the afternoon, and then go back to job A in the evening.

I'm not French.
    That really sucks. Let me guess, no benefits from any of the jobs?
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Zero!

But back in OH, I couldn't put 3 jobs together. I just had one that was giving me fewer hours each month, so I'm not ungrateful.

But I am very annoyed. It doesn't have to be this way.

Quote Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
    Staples is doing nothing wrong here.

Gov. backed them into a corner, they responded.

Employees don't like it, free to quit & seek another employer.

Simple.
    But...but...they SAID it had nothing to do with the government!

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I'm not French.
    Even though you're part-time without benefits, employers want first claim on your time and loyalty. This is why the part-tome economy doesn't work. Scheduling is a big hassle for workers.

This is a bad situation for Staples' employees, and ultimately this country's economy as well, but no amount of electronic signatures will change government and corporate policy at this point in time.

This... is what the people of this country... have allowed to happen.

Each person, individually, will now have to have to figure out how they are going to survive it. Every day that passes brings fewer and fewer quality employment opportunities, not unlike musical chairs.

Adapt - it's the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by kiawahman View Post

This... is what the people of this country... have allowed to happen.
    Oh look, another one who missed all the protests. We didn't ALLOW this to happen any more than we ALLOWED a hurricane to hit. Even Obamacare went through because no one read the stupid thing. There were protests before and protests after, and not a one was listened to. Our complicity in this drops through the FLOOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Oh look, another one who missed all the protests. We didn't ALLOW this to happen any more than we ALLOWED a hurricane to hit. Even Obamacare went through because no one read the stupid thing. There were protests before and protests after, and not a one was listened to. Our complicity in this drops through the FLOOR.
    Look, another innocent victim; Nothing could have been done. Not our fault. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen. It has all been destiny/fate/luck of the draw/out of our hands/beyond control.

It did happen because we allowed it to happen, just as we'll continue to stand on the sidelines and watch it happen even more in the future, and the only sad course left to run is to learn to adapt to it. People should have been shouldering a responsible, informed, and participative posture toward their government long before the wimpy protests which were only the gag reflex from swallowing the bitter pill being shoved down our throats. No sooner does one make it past the tonsils another follows right behind, it's been happening for decades.

Probably a good thing for some to accept corruption and tyranny so as not to be burdened with any blame.

Quote Originally Posted by kiawahman View Post
    Look, another innocent victim; Nothing could have been done. Not our fault. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen. It has all been destiny/fate/luck of the draw/out of our hands/beyond control.

It did happen because we allowed it to happen, just as we'll continue to stand on the sidelines and watch it happen even more in the future, and the only sad course left to run is to learn to adapt to it. People should have been shouldering a responsible, informed, and participative posture toward their government long before the wimpy protests which were only the gag reflex from swallowing the bitter pill being shoved down our throats. No sooner does one make it past the tonsils another follows right behind, it's been happening for decades.

Probably a good thing for some to accept corruption and tyranny so as not to be burdened with any blame.
    What ARE you talking about? Did you miss the sheer amount of protest that went in both before and after the passage of Obamacare?

If you're going to talk fourth box, then you know what? Stop pussy-footing around and SAY so. Have the common decency to actually say what you mean.

Or are you a paid shill come here to stir the hornet's nest?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    What ARE you talking about? Did you miss the sheer amount of protest that went in both before and after the passage of Obamacare?

If you're going to talk fourth box, then you know what? Stop pussy-footing around and SAY so. Have the common decency to actually say what you mean.

Or are you a paid shill come here to stir the hornet's nest?
    Nope. Saw the protests. They came and went. Just as the passage of Obamacare, I saw the passage of the Patriot Act, NDAA, numerous 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendment violations, while issues of illegal immigration, border security, and drug trafficking remain out of control. Lots of protests, which haven't even amounted to even a small hill of beans.

I said exactly what I meant; It was all allowed to happen, it continues to happen, and will only get worse.