Thread: Democratic Response to Netanyahu Speech

Exclamation Democratic Response to Netanyahu Speech

No link as I have been watching this on Fox and pausing and transcribing what they're saying Am only doing the first two as I don't have the patience to do all and Elisha Cummings is up third and KNOW I won't have the stomach to post what he says

Congressman Ellison starts...

"I'd like to congratulate Speaker Boehner and PM Netanyahu on a very impressive bit of political theater. Now the PM can go home to his campaign and say that he lectured congress and the American people on things that apparently we didn't know. I think the speech validated all of the reasons I was opposed to the speech. I expected the PM to speculate on and mis-characterize the negotiations and a potential deal. For instance, he continually said that the deal ends in a certain period of time and that there would be no restrictions on Iran's nuclear program after the deal expired and that is NOT THE CASE as we have been told by the White House (OMG!! How STUPID are these people to believe the WH!!!) But, again, this is part of the strategy that he used. I resent the condescending tone (I didn't get any condescending tone!) that he used which basically said that he didn't think anybody in congress or the country understood the threat that a nuclear weaponized Iran poses to his country, to the region, and to the world...I think the POTUS has made it very clear we understand that threat. I don't think that there's any doubt that anyone in congress and the administration understands that Iran has been a bad actor in the region and that it has sponsored terrorism,...that it has done things we would like to see changed. We all know that. It was nice of him to remind us. And I also resent the fact that he was telling us how to negotiate when the administration and their representatives have been at this for 2 years now with the cooperation and participation of 5 other major nations in the world

This speech was straight out of the Dick Cheney playbook. This was fear mongering at its ultimate. Phrases like...essentially saying "nuclear war is inevitable if this deal were to be accepted." Phrases like "this paves the way to Iran having a nuclear bomb " these are things that I think are part of what Dick Cheney would have done and did. This is has been the PM's pattern. He's gone to the UN and done the same thing.

I understand as all of us do, all of us who desperately support Israel and care very deeply about Israeli security, that Israel "perceives" it's threat differently than we might. But I don't think there is any question that the administration and all of us understand that threat and are trying our best to thwart it.

My final comment, PM Netanyahu basically said that the only acceptable deal was a perfect deal or an ideal deal. It's like the child who said I want to go to Disneyland every day, eat ice cream and drink coco cola every day and not to to school. That would be a nice life for a child, but this is very serious business that is being conducted in a very, very real world. (The only condensation I'm hearing is from Mr. Ellis!) Idealism is fine as William F Buckley once said but as it approaches reality the costs become prohibitive. In this case I believe that insisting on the "Idea Deal" in a world where things constantly change, is something for which the cost would be prohibitive and those costs would be a lost opportunity to put an end to Iran's nuclear program. "

Now David Price of NC...

We are united in our determination to learn from this controversy- the controversy that surrounded the speech, and to move on to reinforce the US/Israel a security relationship and protect the world against a nuclear armed Iran.

Speaker Boehner should never have extended this invitation at this time. Given the proximity of this speech to Israel's national elections (the ones the Obama cohorts are trying to FIX so Bibi doesn't get re-elected), and the fact that delicate international negotiations , which the PM CLEARLY wishes to upend, are hanging in the balance at this moment. And PM Netanyahu should not have accepted this invitation, which was extended w/o the usual consultation of bi-partisan leadership and the normal notification of and consultation with the president. (Like Obama consults with the legislative branch before writing out his executive orders. )

For these reasons the invitation and the speech set a dangerous precedent whereby congressional leaders from one party can invite a foreign politician to publicly oppose the policies of a sitting president on the house floor. In doing so we not only tarnish the grand tradition of the joint session, we also run the risk of politicizing diplomatic relationships, in this case a very special relationship that is dedicated to Israel's security and prosperity.

But the speech as happened. Now we have to determine the best way forward. We must give due consideration to what the PM has said which of course isn't dependent on the form in which he said it. We must also subject his charges and claims to intense scrutiny. Fr example the notion that everything has to be solved in terms of our bi-lateral issues before anything can be solved. For example, the description of the deal which makes an agreement seemingly, totally out of reach.

We must re-double our efforts to protect Israel, the region, and the world from a nuclear armed Iran. These are tough negotiations. Of course they are tough. But there are no good alternatives to bringing a comprehensive, strong, and force-able agreement to fruition. It's extremely important for us and for the international community to stay on that course. Through all of this our commitment to a safe and secure Israel must remain firm, and open dialog is critical to that process. I and all of us stand ready to engage with Israeli leaders across the political spectrum.

This speech today wasn't about whether we agreed or disagreed, it was about the circumstances of this invitation and the lasting damage it could do. But it's our job now to get past this controversy to focus on the task at hand. Securing the relationship with Israel, and securing an enforceable international agreement w/Iran.

We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Thanks Shep. I can read now without all the Nazi commercial interruptions!

"How is it possible to have a civil war?" - George Carlin

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot." - George Orwell