Thread: Dairy Goats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Pygmies are not dairy goats, and I hazard to say they would not have that much meat on them. IMO, people raise pygmies as pets or just to eat the brush in their field. I'm not much into the "mini-" this or that, either, because you lose a lot of the benefits of a purebred milk goat -- high production and ease of milking.

The big problem with the small goats is it KILLS me to milk them! Even a first-freshener from the bigger breeds will often have teeny-tiny teats that first lactation. You don't realize how much your hands can ache milking such tiny teats until you've tried it! It's like a 2-finger exercise. I considered big, hand-sized teats a selling point when I'm looking to buy a goat. So much easier to milk!

My goats have generally given 2-5 quarts of milk a day, so my production has not been as high as Lost, but then I've usually not stayed in one place long enough to develop a serious breeding program.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Actually, in a survival setting, pygmy goats might be the perfect meat goat. They can breed year round and have 2-3 kids multiple times a year. They butcher out 35-40%, and are supposed to be tasty.

Remember, in a survival setting, you may not have electricity for a deep freeze. So getting smaller amounts of meat on a regular basis will come in handy.

Goat isn't in the traditional American menu, but there are plenty of Hispanics, Arabs, and other ethnicities that will happily buy a pygmy wether for dinner. Of course, the pet market brings more money. But that's a fad that I'm positive is going to bust soon. There is only so much room for breeders, in a breed that can quadruple its number in one year.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Now, I will say I have zero knowledge about Pygmy goats, but I have heard that they frequently have trouble kidding. I have a plan to do some cross-breeding of dairy (LaMancha) buck with some Kiko does. The reason is Kikos have a fast weight gain, good udders, and they are extremely hardy -- no trouble kidding or mothering, and resistance to internal parasites and hoof rot. I'm trying to get as self-reliant in the livestock as I can. Not only is it more economical in the long run not to have to resort to medications and vet assistance, it might be a survival skill before too long.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    Now, I will say I have zero knowledge about Pygmy goats, but I have heard that they frequently have trouble kidding. I have a plan to do some cross-breeding of dairy (LaMancha) buck with some Kiko does. The reason is Kikos have a fast weight gain, good udders, and they are extremely hardy -- no trouble kidding or mothering, and resistance to internal parasites and hoof rot. I'm trying to get as self-reliant in the livestock as I can. Not only is it more economical in the long run not to have to resort to medications and vet assistance, it might be a survival skill before too long.

That would be an excellent cross for a survival situation Grower. In a survival situation you can not eat the registration papers!!

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    My goats have generally given 2-5 quarts of milk a day, so my production has not been as high as Lost, but then I've usually not stayed in one place long enough to develop a serious breeding program.
    Those 2 goats have moved with me wherever I go! I've finally been in this place long enough to be able to expand and work on breeding replacements. Good thing, as the best one is 8 years old. I know they can breed older, but she milks for 2 years at a time, so she's only got a couple more kiddings in her. Now if only she'd had girls!

I so totally agree with you on milking those minis! I used to milk a friend's nigerians when she'd go somewhere. It was like milking a mouse! Ugh.