Some goats, of any type or breed, will have creamier milk than others.

I have had some does with very little cream and others ... well ... with just too much cream.

Hard to imagine but some bloodlines do give extra creamy milk ... like the difference between a Jersey cow and a Holstein.

Some of my does would milk over a gallon a day, each, their whole time milking. Those were the does who refused to dry up during the needed dry time when getting ready to kid.

The does I ended up keeping in the herd were the middle of the road does who kidded easily, milk good amounts, had good temperments, and who were easy to milk. Meaning proper udder placement, size and teats! Teats are very important in this ... They should have good sized teats, but not too big, and good size orifices. The udders should look like half of a basketball with two teats coming off of it.

Go to the American Dairy Goat Assoc. website and look up proper udders. Should be lots of pictures there for you to look at.

If you buy a young doe ... try to see what her dam looks like and try to milk the dam. It does not always mean you will get the same type of udder structure on the kid but ... it will help some.

Also, always check for extra teats on the does. Milk goats are only suppose to have two BUT some of the meat goat breeders do have does with four working teats. So, if you are buying a cross bred doe make sure you check out teat numbers and placement.

If the buck, sire, is on the place ... take a good look at him also. Make sure he is wide enough in the rear ... otherwise his daughters may not have room for a properly placed udder when they kid. Also, if the buck will allow it ... check his teats too! Size, shape and number matters on his side also.