Thread: another prep failure tonight

Default another prep failure tonight

I realized that all my extra sewing machine needles were at the BOL. I thought no problem, I'll just go to the Walmart in the next town over and I'll write a check as my cash is low. While I was there I decided to pick up some lunchmeat too. Well when I got to the checkout lane the machine wouldn't read my check. I asked what the total would be if he took the lunch meat off and I had to pay cash.

not related to the needles, or sewing, was they had some royal purple synthetic oil on sale, about half price. I didn't get it because it was the wrong viscosity for my truck. Now I know I couldn't have paid for it anyway. FYI.

My prep failures:

1. None of the heirloom seeds soaking in paper towels on the kitchen window germinated. I'll try another sample, but I may have lost all of my tomatoes from two years ago. I didn't grow any heirlooms last summer due to time. Likely cause: improper storage. They were in a kitchen cupboard and may have gotten too warm. From here on out, they will be kept in the basement.

2. I may have lost about 1/4 of my seed potatoes, also due to improper storage. They were in the basement but they should've been separated better. They were in a crate and the bottom row is rotten.

I can recover pretty easily now, but it's good to make changes before things get tight.

My first prep failure was many years ago. Today, even a novice prepper would know better than to do what I did.

I stored dry foods in canning jars (the good part). But then I put the canning jars on shelves in an outbuilding where it stays over 100 degrees in the summer. The food in those jars did not even last through one summer.

Dark and cool. Applies to everything.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...