Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Global warming, or how I learned to love freezing my tail off in May

Default Global warming, or how I learned to love freezing my tail off in May

It's official, we set a heat record............ Snow and Sleet on May 20th, the LATEST it has ever done so.

Global Warming my ass. ( sorry for the poor word choice, I am done being nice )

Quote Originally Posted by PatDaly View Post
    It's official, we set a heat record............ Snow and Sleet on May 20th, the LATEST it has ever done so.

It was in the low 60s today in Anchorage

Four minute response time Godwit, you're slowing down. Must be the cold weather.
    ¤ Loose Change

I have set the LORD always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. ~ Psalm 16:8

yea when we are using tactical nukes to stop the glaciers some will argue that the fast glacial movement us really due to warming causing melting which allows the glaciers to float and move faster...
    The Great Way is gateless,
    Approached in a thousand ways.
    Once past this checkpoint
    You stride through the universe.

Somewhat Related:
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-war-in-syria/
    Obama: Climate Change Fueled Rise Of Boko Haram, War In Syria
    by Charlie Spiering 20 May 2015

During his speech at the Coast Guard Commencement ceremonies, President Obama warned that climate change was part of the reason behind increasing violence in countries around the world.

Obama pointed out that under his administration, the Pentagon had begun identifying climate change as a “threat multiplier” in world conflicts, although he was careful not to put all the blame on changing weather patterns.

“Understand, climate change did not cause the conflicts we see around the world, yet what we also know is that severe drought helped to create the instability in Nigeria that was exploited by the terrorist group Boko Haram,” he said.

He also claimed that climate change was partially responsible for the brutal civil war in Syria.

“It’s now believed that drought, crop failures, and high food prices helped fuel the early unrest in Syria, which descended into civil war in the heart of the Middle East,” he said.

Obama explained that the United States armed forces would now have to factor in climate change in upcoming missions.

“You need to be ready,” he said to the graduates.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

We're not setting a record THIS year... only because the 22° on May 25th in 2009 pretty well shattered records (and destroyed fruit crops from New Hampshire to Michigan, IIRC). But I'm thanking God I listened to Him and not soil temps or what is blooming (generally, when the lilacs are blooming it's safe to plant corn and transplant tender plants), because Friday night we're likely to see at least scattered frost again. I'm thankful I've got my 200 strawberry plants in raised beds, which are just the right size to cover with fitted king size sheets. Since I replaced my ancient percale sheets (they were wedding gifts 40 years ago!) with high-thread count cotton sheets about 5 years ago- just before prices went nuts), I've got enough to cover all 8 beds. Since they're in full bloom, I'm not going to take the chance that our altitude (on a side hill, at around 1700 feet, which drops about 500 feet to a valley a quarter mile from the farm... that valley can see frost well into June) will let us escape.

But I'm ready for sustained warmth!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    But I'm ready for sustained warmth!
    Summerthyme
    It's coming. Starting tomorrow, our temps are going back into the 70s, so that high pressure system will be along soon after.

I had the heat on last night! It got down to 45. I usually shut the heat off on May 1 and add an extra wool blanket for some of the cold nights. Day temps in the 70s usually warm the house back up, but it's been in the 50s.

Very cool for this time of year here at Pooh Corner. I've worn a stocking cap to do chores this week. Something I've never done in May. It's also very wet. Dunno when we'll get the corn planted.
    Artie

All hands stand by for high seas and heavy rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by PatDaly View Post

Yet all but three days have had temps above average here in SE NY; 10 days with highs in the 70s and 2 in the 80s.
    *This proves global climate change no more than your statement disproves it.

Quote Originally Posted by es7129 View Post
    Yet all but three days have had temps above average here in SE NY; 10 days with highs in the 70s and 2 in the 80s.
    *This proves global climate change no more than your statement disproves it.
    I think you are correct..
    And here is the time period we like to start at to prove global warming,gee I wonder why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer