Thread: What's eating my beans?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's eating my beans?

And how can I stop them?

I'm trying for the fourth time to get a few green beans but something is taking the tops off them.

I don't think it's deer and suspect rabbits or groundhogs but never see any in the garden regardless of the time of day or night.

(I do go out all hours of the day and night)

Yesterday I sprinkled tobacco, cayenne, moth balls and deer/rabbit repellent spray.

This morning more of the tops were cut.

They never seemed to bother the wax beans or peas as much but they're eating them all now.

Bugs of some kind?
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

HUGE, no kidding, grasshoppers ate the bejeebers out of mine this year and nothing I tried stopped them. On 20 plants, a beautiful hanging arch of vine and I got 12 beans this year. They are as long as my pinky and just as fat. They took out my blue kale and beets...now I got those big ugly black and yellow caterpillers on my tomatoes...it just doesn't seem to end this year, does it? The stink bugs, green ones, didn't quite destroy my Chinese Red Noodle beans...those did okay.

Was talking with the mail lady today and she said everyone she talks to on the route has had similar problems and then some...they say it's been years since the bug population has been this bad for gardens.

Guess I better get my greenhouse up and running soon for next year as growing stuff outside will be "iffy" next year...looks like.

We're all gonna be on a wing and a prayer for spring of next year.
    Old enough to remember

Not a good garden year for me.

I do see some small grasshoppers in the garden.
    Maybe that's it
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

sprinkle some flour along the rows and look for tracks. It does sound more like rabbits or woodchucks. It would take some BIG grasshoppers to nip the entire top off the plants (I'm not saying they don't exist, but they're pretty hard to miss!)

Summerthyme

got a remedy, Summerthyme.

Everything I put on seemed to make it worse or at least not slow 'em down

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

A high strong fence partially buried in-ground at the bottom is the only way to stop them all. Its probably ground hog.