Thread: Judge Sends Abuse Victim to Jail

Exclamation Judge Sends Abuse Victim to Jail

I work with these victims. See my thoughts after story.

Tough Words From Judge as She Sends Abuse Victim to Jail
    By ABC NEWS Oct 7, 2015, 6:46 PM

A recently released video shows the dramatic testimony of a domestic violence victim emotionally pleading with a judge as she is sentenced to jail time for ignoring a subpoena to appear at her alleged abuser's trial.

On July 30, when the video was taken, the mother of a 1-year-old child appeared before Judge Jerri Collins in a Seminole County courtroom for a contempt of court hearing.

"Your honor, I'm very sorry for not attending the last one," she said through tears. "I've been dealing with depression and just a lot personally since this happened. My anxiety is like, this is everyday for me."

According to court documents, the victim was holding her child inside a Florida residence April 2 when the child's father allegedly choked her and grabbed a kitchen knife. He was arrested. In a statement, the State Attorney's Office said the man accused in the case had a prior domestic violence battery conviction.

Court documents said that in June, the woman was served with a subpoena to appear in court for the July 22 trial. She did not appear.

During that July 30 contempt of court hearing, the woman said she had gone to a domestic abuse class and had asked for the charges to be dropped. (Typical). The woman said, in her defense during the hearing, that she did not want the alleged abuser to be convicted because when he'd been jailed previously, he'd lost his job and had been unable to pay child support. (Very common mindset). She said she'd lost her house and was now homeless.

"We're trying to separate. ... I'm trying to move on with my life. ... I'm living at my parents' house. ... I had to sell everything I owned. I'm just not in a good place right now," she said.

The judge found her in contempt of court and sentenced her to three days in jail.

"You were required to be here by a court order," Collins said before issuing her decision. "You disobeyed a court order, knowing that this was not going to turn out well for the state."

According to the Department of Justice, victims' refusal to cooperate is "the prime reason prosecutors drop or dismiss domestic violence cases."

On the video, the victim can be heard wailing as she is handcuffed.

"Judge, I'll do anything. ... I have a 1-year-old son and I'm trying to take care of him by myself. I'm begging you, please, please don't," she said.

The State Attorney's Office said in a statement that domestic violence victims' cooperation with the criminal justice system was "integral" to the successful prosecution of abuse crimes.

"The case was poised for trial and a jury was sworn. The victim refused to attend court the day of trial, going so far as to tell the State Attorney's Office that she didn't care if she was arrested as a result of her not complying with the court's subpoena. (Very typical of victims). The victim's decision to thwart the court process by refusing to cooperate, despite a properly issued subpoena for her to appear in court, triggered the State to pursue an Order to Show Cause against her, and the Court's subsequent sentence," the office said.

The State Attorney's Office said the alleged abuser had received 16 days in jail for simple battery and was ordered to pay court costs.

Jeanne Gold, the CEO of SafeHouse, an organization that offers shelter to abuse victims, said she'd approached Collins after the hearing in July and had told the judge the victim should have been given community service, not jail time. She believes the judge went too far.

"There's no -- absolutely nothing that I could think of that would be the reason to re-victimize this person by putting her in jail, and so I don't understand where that thinking came from," Gold told ABC News.

(Outcome of 3 days in jail ->)
    The victim has since left the alleged abuser and continues to live with her parents.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/tough-words...ry?id=34324384

I agree with the judge IN THIS CASE.

They don’t go into detail whether or not the abuser had x-number of OP’s taken out on him by this victim; just the fact he a prior dom bat conviction. I think if there are 4 or more OP’s taken out on the same offender AND police were called, AND he’s been arrested and charged multiple times, AND the victim either never shows for the hearings nor gets a plenary, YES…let the victim experience the seriousness of not following through against the abuser. The victim wants the seriousness and immediate response of the police when they’re being attacked, therefore the victim needs to finish up the route of protecting herself and her children. The outcome of her stint in jail is summed up in the last sentence; which is a great ending.

We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

I'll never understand these abuse victims. Some women are abused and beg for help and the authorities established over them will either ignore their please or even go so far as to help the abuser continue to victimize them. But then I see the authorities falling over themselves to help people who do like this woman does.

Quote Originally Posted by abvp View Post
    I'll never understand these abuse victims. Some women are abused and beg for help and the authorities established over them will either ignore their please or even go so far as to help the abuser continue to victimize them.
    I don't condone but do understand the police mindset in a majority of cases because victim calls for help regularly, police come and arrest abuser, victim doesn't either get emergency order of protection, (good for 14 to 21 days) or doesn't show up for long term order of protection (up to 2 years) AND refuses to testify against abuser and usually takes abuser back. 3-4 times of this with the same victim and abuser and the police are tired of their efforts being wasted.
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Electra View Post
    I don't condone but do understand the police mindset in a majority of cases because victim calls for help regularly, police come and arrest abuser, victim doesn't either get emergency order of protection, (good for 14 to 21 days) or doesn't show up for long term order of protection (up to 2 years) AND refuses to testify against abuser and usually takes abuser back. 3-4 times of this with the same victim and abuser and the police are tired of their efforts being wasted.
    I've known women who tried having the abuser prosecuted and wanted to pursue it. They could be covered with injuries and the cops just either ignore it or give the abuser advice/help with the issue. They had never even had a chance to fail to follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by abvp View Post
    I've known women who tried having the abuser prosecuted and wanted to pursue it. They could be covered with injuries and the cops just either ignore it or give the abuser advice/help with the issue. They had never even had a chance to fail to follow through.
    I've seen that too. I refer to it as the 'good 'ol boys network.' This is more prevalent out in the country or in small towns where everybody knows everybody. In this case the victim would need to file a complaint with her state's Attorney General. She would need to make sure she has copies of the police report when the police were called and all photos of injuries to submit to the Attorney General.

Quote Originally Posted by abvp
    I agree, abvp. My situations were a bit different. But the sheriff's deputy that came to help would only pay attention and do something about it only if I gave him something in return. Nothing was ever done. Ask me why I don't trust cops! I live in a small rural community back in a very rural area. Our local cops are like a mafia. For them to do something for you, you have to pay them off however they see fit. If the attackers are their buddies, you're in a no win situation.