Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is What Cultural Marxism Looks Like

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Millennial Writer Cries for Mother at Work, Puts Mother on Speakerphone after Editor Corrects Her Spelling

By Stephen Green July 15, 2019
    chat 88 comments

(Image courtesy of Pixababy)

How does a boss manage a worker who believes their feelings trump reality, right down to the way she "feels" about her misspelled words?
    Gently. And probably badly, even though that's no fault of the boss in question.
    Carol Blymire -- a "communications and public policy executive, branding consultant, professor, writer" -- took to Twitter on Friday to tell the story she overheard of a young writer, probably "in her late 20s," going over edits with her boss.
    They had been speaking in low tones, but their volume got louder toward the end of the conversation because the young woman was getting agitated about a particular edit.
    — Carol Blymire (@CarolBlymire) July 12, 2019
    What issue caused mentor and student such agitation and aggravation? Had the boss been needlessly cruel? Had the young writer pushed some radical agenda, and was refusing to tamp it down a bit? Hardly. They were arguing over how to spell "hamster." You know, the little furry rodents some people keep in one of those winding Habitrail cages.
    The young woman kept saying, “I don’t know why you corrected that because I spell it with the P in it.” The boss said (calmly), “But that’s not how the word is spelled. There is no P in hamster.”
    Young woman: “But you don’t know that! I learned to spell it with a P in it so that’s how I spell it.”

The boss (remaining very calm and professional), let’s go to https://t.co/n2ZU5Uuuy3 and look it up together.

(mind you, this is a woman in her late 20s, not a 5th grader)
    Can you guess what happened next? The young woman, according to Blymire, "insists she doesn’t need to look it up because it’s FINE to spell it with a P because that’s HOW SHE WANTED TO SPELL IT."
    The boss says, “Let’s look over the rest of the piece so I can explain the rest of my edits.”

They do, and I can see the young woman is fighting back tears.

The boss is calm, cool, and handles this with professionalism and empathy.
    You might think at this point that the writer would have taken a cue from her boss, and engaged herself with the same calm, cool, professionalism. Actually, at this point in the story you wouldn't think that at all, would you?
    And you'd be right not to:
    Boss gets up from table and goes to her office and the young woman can barely hold it together.

She moves to another table in the common workspace area, drops all her stuff loudly on the table top, and starts texting.

A minute later, her phone rings.
    Our young hero (in her own mind only), had apparently texted her mother for support in this Hampster Crisis, and her dutiful mother called her right up. If one of my kids had called me or my wife in a similar situation, I know exactly what either one of us would have said.
    "It's spelled 'hamster.' Now go apologize to your boss for causing a scene."
    I imagine if you'd read this far, you'd have given similar advice. I also imagine that you're already certain that's not what happened here.
    The young woman put her mom on speakerphone, "IN THE WORKPLACE," as Blymire caps-locked for emphasis, and what happened next would be funny if it weren't so sad.
    The mother tells her that her boss is an idiot and she doesn’t have to listen to her and she should go to the boss’ boss to file a complaint about not allowing creativity in her writing.
    The young woman kept saying, “I thought what I wrote was perfect and she just made all these changes and then had the nerve to tell me I was spelling words wrong when I know they are right because that is how I have always spelled them.”
    Feelings trump reality. Misspelling words is "creative."
    The call ended, Blymire wrote, with the writer asked her mom if she should take the matter over her boss's head: "I mean, I always spell hamster with a P, she has no right to criticize me."
    Blymire added that "her boss seemed as dumbfounded through the conversation as I was in overhearing it." But being dumbfounded was limited to the person who overheard the whole silly scene.
    I think I was most perplexed by the insistence of wanting to spell something the way she wanted to because SHE WANTED TO, ignoring the fact that there are rules and dictionaries.

And seeming offended that anyone would suggest the use of an outside resource as reference.
    Indeed.
    Apparently what Blymire overheard is no isolated case.
    I asked a colleague about it, and he relayed a story about the time he gave an early 20something feedback on a writing assignment.

The young man quit the next day and had his parents call to tell him what a terrible boss he was for “correcting work that didn’t need corrected.”
    This is Generation Participation Trophy, has been set loose on the private sector where, to quote Dr. Raymond Stantz, "they expect results." They even -- as outrageous as this sounds -- expect their writers to use proper spelling. And to listen to their editors when they do a little editing.
    One can only hope this sort of muddle-headed nonsense is limited to the liberal arts vocations. Nobody wants to drive across a bridge built to some Millennial engineer's feelings about what won't collapse.
    When you meet a dog who flinches from being petted, you can be pretty sure they're abused at home. When you run across an adult-aged human who can't take constructive criticism, you can be pretty sure they never got any from their parents, or maybe even not from their teachers. But the saddest part of this tale is that no one ever loved this young woman enough to provide her the guidance and discipline everyone needs to cope in the real world.
    UPDATE: Fausta Wertz commented at Facebook, "Fire her sorry butt."
    And you know what? That might just be the tough love she needs.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

The previous generation loves to label the newer generation. It's a time honored tradition.

Lenno, the older generation when YOU were the newer generation thought you were a bunch of effeminate girly men who needed a war to man them up.

The truth is millennials are forming and running high-tech companies, and in the process of embarrassing NASA and going to Mars. They may accomplish many things the Baby Boomers were unable to. Despite being saddled with the Baby Boomer's debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    The previous generation loves to label the newer generation. It's a time honored tradition.

Lenno, the older generation when YOU were the newer generation thought you were a bunch of effeminate girly men who needed a war to man them up.

The truth is millennials are forming and running high-tech companies, and in the process of embarrassing NASA and going to Mars. They may accomplish many things the Baby Boomers were unable to. Despite being saddled with the Baby Boomer's debt.
    I 'manned-up' quite well, TYVM and I have NO debt so take your leftist shill drivel and try it on someone else

Lenno ... a mean raging drunk protected by the forum admin.

He cyberstalks people, and has even threatened to SWAT forum members.

Those millennials are paying your social security, asshat. While you sit at home and drink your liver away posting your rage on the forum, they're out working to make sure whatever is left of your life is paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    Um, not to pick nits but I'd turn the "men's" chair around and splay my manhood for all to behold.
    Or maybe I'd self-identify as something other than a man and sit in the women's chair and air-out the lads anyway.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post

True enough. As a baby boomer, I'm shocked and diappointed by what a bunch of judgmental assholes so many of my fellow baby boomers have become toward the following generations, and how unsympathetic they are to a generation that seems interested in re-making the world as somewhere better, which is something we were supposed to do, but somehow totally blew off. I think too many people emerged exhausted from the disco years and bought into the ethic of the "it's all about me getting rich and screw everybody else" that got really popular in the 1980s, and which still has a hold over too much of the culture and too much of politics.

The other funny thing about the "these rotten kids today" crowd is that they use EXACTLY the same tropes about them that the prior generation used about us: they don't know what it is to work hard, they've had everything given to them, they think the world owes them a living, they have no concept of the value of money, they've got no respect, blah blah blah blah. Sorry, I've been around long enough now that you can't woof me with that stuff. Back when we were young we suspected that most of that was little more than cranky old person bullshit, but we couldn't prove it, and we basically had to bite our tongues while we were around the nattering old folks. Now I see that many of the grouchy old bastards waggling their fingers at young people are the guys I used to hang out with in junior high and high school more than 50 years ago when we were forced to listen to the same complaints from the old codgers back then. So I have had my suspicions totally confirmed--95% of it really IS cranky old person bullshit.

Oh, and by the way: YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Queer Kid Stuff Sues YouTube (vid)

Rational educated decent God-fearing people are being replaced by totally clueless perverted nincompoops.

There is good reason this radical rapid decline in human quality is happening... it's preparation for destruction.