Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amish man sues for right to buy gun without photo ID

I thought the Amish don't believe in armed self-defense. Over simplification?

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    I thought the Amish don't believe in armed self-defense. Over simplification?
    some attitudes may have changed after the Amish School Massacre and the arrival of 100,000's of immigrants
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

No, they don't. AT ALL. (I've had long conversations with elders and Bishops in our very restrictive Old Order Amish community on this subject) and "thou shalt not kill" pretty well covers it for them. No exceptions. I think they truly believe (mostly) that God will protect them, although they're clearly aware of the "evil" in "the world" which now and then even reaches into the community.

But I thought that framing this court case on "self-defense" (rather, say, than being able to feed his family via hunting deer) is going to be awfully easy to fight against, given that "self-defense" is also against his religion!

But don't ask me to explain their "graven image" thing (the rigidity of which varies from person to person, even within families). None I know of would willingly allow their pictures to be taken (the result of which was one surreal summer evening while I took pictures of large soap bubbles, while trying to avoid including the barefoot, bearded men producing said soap bubbles! LOL!), however at least one is a passable primitive artist, and we have a lovely, realistic cow on our mailbox thanks to his skills!

Summerthyme

Why not look for a private sale if he really wants a weapon?
    It is a lot less hassle.