Thread: Brain Tan Deer Hide Question

Default Brain Tan Deer Hide Question

I read on the internet (so must be true) that egg YOLK can be substituted for brain in making traditional buckskin. I blew the brain out of the deer so am looking for an alternative to try. Anyone ever do this, how many yolks for one small hide, and what is the process?

Thank you.

I have been brain tanning deer, elk and buffalo since 1976 I also brain tan furs, but have switched from brains recently to using lecithin granules. These can be purchased at most any health food store.

I mix 1/3 cup of granules to a gallon of water. First I put the third of a cup of granules and about a pint of hot water in the blender and blend for three minutes then I pour this into a gallon of hot tap water. I let it cool to write and put my hand in it without burning down I pour this into a pan and put the deer hide has been fleshed and grained (hair and epidermis removed) and let it soak until a hide soft when I ring it. I soak in ring at three or four times and then let it start to dry and work it soft after which I smoke it.

Just apply the mix to the flesh side of the hide after it is been thoroughly flashed.