Thread: Looking for italian beef recipe

Default Looking for italian beef recipe

Anyone have a good one? I'm not talking about the beef, italian dressing mix, and peppers in a crock pot. I know that is tasty too, but it is not the same. I mean the real italian beef you get in some restaurants and at stands at festivals etc.

Dunno if this is what you're looking for, but it's something we put together (a "recipe" from our old Italian landlord, many, many years ago....) called *Braciole* (sp)...

-flank steak pounded quite thin (to make "roll ups")

-filling for roll ups: bread crumb, chopped garlic, chopped parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper)

-marinara sauce

-fill beef with crumb mixture and roll up and secure with toothpick or string.

-heat olive oil in pan and fry the roll ups on all sides til nicely browned but not cooked thru

-have the marinara sauce heating and put the roll ups in to braise in the sauce til done, about 30-40 mins.

Oh yum...haven't made tis in years, but now I've got the urge!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    Dunno if this is what you're looking for, but it's something we put together (a "recipe" from our old Italian landlord, many, many years ago....) called *Braciole* (sp)...

-flank steak pounded quite thin (to make "roll ups")

-filling for roll ups: bread crumb, chopped garlic, chopped parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper)

-marinara sauce

-fill beef with crumb mixture and roll up and secure with toothpick or string.

-heat olive oil in pan and fry the roll ups on all sides til nicely browned but not cooked thru

-have the marinara sauce heating and put the roll ups in to braise in the sauce til done, about 30-40 mins.

Oh yum...haven't made tis in years, but now I've got the urge!!!
    That is not it but it does sound good. I'll have to give it a try. Thank you.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...lian_beef.html

Maybe this is close?

Ingredients

The beef
    1 boneless beef roast, about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed off
    The rub
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    The juice
    6 cups of hot water
    4 cubes of bouillon
    The sandwich
    10 soft, fluffy, high gluten rolls, sliced lengthwise but hinged on one side or Italian bread loaves cut widthwise into 10 portions (Gonnella, Turano, and D'Amato are the bakers of choice in Chicago)
    3 medium sized green bell peppers
    1 tablespoon olive oil, approximately
    1 cup hot giardiniera

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...lian_beef.html

Maybe this is close?

Ingredients

The beef
    1 boneless beef roast, about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed off
    The rub
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    The juice
    6 cups of hot water
    4 cubes of bouillon
    The sandwich
    10 soft, fluffy, high gluten rolls, sliced lengthwise but hinged on one side or Italian bread loaves cut widthwise into 10 portions (Gonnella, Turano, and D'Amato are the bakers of choice in Chicago)
    3 medium sized green bell peppers
    1 tablespoon olive oil, approximately
    1 cup hot giardiniera
    Thank you! That looks like the stuff. That is a great website also. Thanks again.

I know that on foodnetwork, the "real" Italian beef places cook their roasts in the oven and then slice thin. Looks delish!

This was spot on....TY so much! Made 2 the other day, the second one after sitting 2 days was absolutely incredible!! Worked at a Chicago hot dog and beef place starting at age 12...this is the closest I have ever come to duplicating the taste. If I could have put my hands on a true Italian loaf it would have been perfect!!