Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Soups only please!

Default Low cal chicken tortilla soup

This is the best tortilla soup I have ever had regardless of the number of calories in it. The pumpkin sounds weird, but it really works and gives the soup a rich, thick substance.

Ingredients

5 cups Fat Free Chicken Broth
    1 1/4 cup Chopped Celery
    1/2 cup Chopped Onion
    3 cup Green Enchilada Sauce
    1 15oz can Pure Pumpkin
    10 oz Cooked and chopped Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
    1 cup Frozen Corn
    Chopped roasted green chilies
    season with smoke paprika and cumin
    2 Low carb tortillas in small pieces *toasted is also good

--topping optional
    Fat Free Shredded Cheese

Directions

Directions:

I "fried" the chicken on a pam sprayed skilled to make the outside of the chicken a little crispy.

In a large pot, bring broth to a boil. Add celery and onion, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender.

Add enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add cut up chicken and corn, and mix well. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until soup is heated throughout. Add chilies and seasoning.

Add tortilla pieces before serving.

You can add Fat Free Shredded Cheddar and hot sauce, just add the calories too.

Calories of soup :116 per one cup serving.

Default Onion Soup (Crock Pot)

3 large onions sliced thin
    2 tbls butter
    2 tbs bouillion = 6 cubes
    4 cups hot water
    1 tsp Worcheshire Sauce
    1/2 tsp salt

Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours. Serves 6.

Recipe fits large crockpot, half the recipe for smaller crocks.

I also add a couple tablespoons dehydrated beef granules (homemade) for extra flavor.

Polish Beet Borsht soup

I remember my old polish great aunt made this. Either cook up some
    fresh beets, use a can from the store, or use your canned. I don't can
    since i'm too lazy...i just dry things cuz it's easier. So my friend gave me a bunch of beets she canned and when in a hurry i just dump the
    whole thing in a pot. Heat up, add lemon, salt, pepper, then when hot,
    but not boiling add a big cup or more of sour cream. Stir good. Then
    either eat as is or what my aunt would do is pour the beet soup over
    some cooked noodles. Yummy. The more lemon the better it tastes.
    It needs to have a ZING to it to taste good.

Default soup

The one thing I have out is add any thing you want i have tried all kinds , I stared with stock and start adding what ever i can find . Some times i get a realy good soup, other times a mess that even the dog won't eat, that when i suffer big time, because i don't like to waste food. I make a chicken soup i start with chicken with bones and skin on,simmer 1hr. let chicken cool so you can peel and debone. then i start with onions an celery carrots add napa cabbage dried tomatos sliced mushrooms and finally i add small pasta. I personally like the little pasta nuggets or abc's. just add what you like. you are the judge. I find that when nothing else sounds good then soup is the answer. Ithink all the good people for the recipes that i've gotten off this site. THANK YOU,BILL

Creamy Potato Soup

In a stock pot fill 1/2 full with peeled and diced potatoes might be 5 pounds, depends on the size of your pot.

Chop 2 large onions and place in pot over the potatoes.

Cover the potatoes and onions with just enough filtered water to have an inch of water over the veggies.

Add dry parsley and dill about a tsp of each, I rub the herbs between my palms to make them powdery, also add salt and pepper.

Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked but not falling apart.

Reduce the heat and add 1 stick butter , and 1 can evaporated milk , stir and add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Smash part of the veggies with a masher to make the soup smoother but leave some chunks.

Taste and season. Serve.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Hazel View Post
    Creamy Potato Soup

In a stock pot fill 1/2 full with peeled and diced potatoes might be 5 pounds, depends on the size of your pot.

Chop 2 large onions and place in pot over the potatoes.

Cover the potatoes and onions with just enough filtered water to have an inch of water over the veggies.

Add dry parsley and dill about a tsp of each, I rub the herbs between my palms to make them powdery, also add salt and pepper.

Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked but not falling apart.

Reduce the heat and add 1 stick butter , and 1 can evaporated milk , stir and add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Smash part of the veggies with a masher to make the soup smoother but leave some chunks.

Taste and season. Serve.
    oh, Aunt Hazel, that sounds insanely fantastic!! i LOVE potato soup but never make it. i get in the mood for it but never happen to have half-n-half (or some sort of cream) around to make it. but, i always have evaporated milk hanging around. yay! finally a "spur of the moment" recipe!! also, i've never seen a potato soup recipe with dill. i really can't wait to try this!

lastly, i have to confess that, although we've never met, you have a special place in my heart. i have the most wonderful Aunt Hazel who i only get to see about once a year. (a fine Irish woman, i must add) she's so funny and so spunky and i miss her dearly. every time i see one of your posts, i think of her and smile. See? i just did it again.

thanks for sharing this recipe. i will think of both of you every time i make it.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Patticakes, that has to be the sweetest thank you I've ever read!
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Patticakes, that has to be the sweetest thank you I've ever read!
    /blush/

what can i say? i love my Aunt Hazel(s)!!!!
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

patticakes,

You are just the sweetest thing! Bless your heart.
    My daughter has a journal and she always has me write the recipes in there for when she gets married, she is 15 now.
    I'm just now getting back to this post and hope to hear if you make the potato soup.