Page 74 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminal Liberalism

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

'How to Murder Your Husband' arrested for allegedly murdering her husband

Susan Gonzalez 11:14 AM, Sep 12, 2018
    1:44 PM, Sep 12, 2018

Nancy Crampton-Brophy, an Oregon-based romance author, was arrested September 5 as a suspect in the murder of her husband Daniel Brophy, according to the Portland Police Bureau.
    The 68-year-old writer was being held at Multnomah County Jail on charges of murder and unlawful use of a weapon.
    Police responded to a shooting at the Oregon Culinary Institute, Brophy's place of employment, June 2. Students were just beginning to arrive when they found the 63-year-old chef bleeding in the kitchen, according to KATU2 news. Brophy died at the scene.

His wife, Crampton-Brophy, is a self-published author of several books, including "The Wrong Husband" and "The Girl Most Likely To." She also penned a blog post entitled "How To Murder Your Husband" in November 2011. The blog has since been made private.
    In "How to Murder Your Husband," Crampton-Brophy described motives and possible murder weapons she would choose from if her character were to kill a husband in a romance novel, according to The Washington Post. She even offered advice to readers, such as not using a hitman or poison to commit the murder.
    Her other works also dealt with murder. In "The Wrong Husband," a woman tries to leave an abusive spouse by faking her death and in "The Wrong Cop" she wrote about a woman who “spent every day of her marriage fantasizing about killing” her husband.

Family and friends are shocked at the latest development in the case, according to The Washington Post.
    The day after her husband was fatally shot Crampton-Brophy wrote an emotional Facebook post.
    "For my facebook friends and family, I have sad news to relate. My husband and best friend, Chef Dan Brophy was killed yesterday morning," she wrote June 3. "For those of you who are close to me and feel this deserved a phone call, you are right, but I’m struggling to make sense of everything right now."

But one of the couple's neighbors confided to The Oregonian that Crampton-Brophy seemed unconcerned when she told him the police were investigating her as a suspect in the weeks following her husband's death.
    Crampton-Brophy was arraigned in Multnomah County Court on September 6.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

The "Heterosexual Male Gaze" at a Car Museum

September 9, 2018

For my birthday, my wife surprised me with a trip to the Petersen Automotive Museum. There among the DeLorean from Back to the Future, the assorted Model T's and muscle cars, was a cautionary lecture about lowriders and the heterosexual male gaze.

Does a car museum really need gender politics? Must we have assertions of "feminist politics and framing queerness" on an exhibit of art by Hispanic car enthusiasts? Obviously.
    The politicization of even the most innocuous museums is not a new phenomenon. But the growing obnoxious censoriousness of it is becoming more ubiquitous.
    The American Writers Museum in Chicago just had to include accusations of racism in its exhibit on Laura Ingalls Wilder. At the New-York Historical Society a costumed volunteer in the garb of a Revolutionary War soldier began ranting that George Washington was a racist.

The walk into Colonial Williamsburg takes you through a series of warnings about how racist and sexist the past you are entering is.
    This is no longer atypical. Instead it's sadly become the new normal.
    The Petersen Automotive Museum decided to provide space (in an out of the way corner) to this pseudoacademic gibberish about the gender politics of lowriders.
    Is there anyone visiting the museum who wants to see that? Doubtfully. But they're getting it anyway. And in 20 years, the Petersen Museum, like so many others, will just consist of lectures on racism, sexism and the male gaze in automotive design.

Default The Soy-Pocalypse Is Upon Us!

Trailblazing female who became infantry Marine is getting kicked out for fraternization

By: Andrea Scott   1 day ago

Lance Cpl. Remedios Cruz, Marine Aircraft Group 12, recites the Oath of Enlistment after being meritoriously promoted at Anderson AFB, Guam, Dec. 4, 2013. (Lance Cpl. Richard Currier/Marine Corps)

Remedios Cruz joined the Marine Corps in 2013 as a supply clerk. One year later, she completed infantry training, and in 2017, made history when she became one of three females to join 1st Battalion, 8th Marines at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Now, Cruz is awaiting separation from the Marine Corps after pleading guilty to maintaining a romantic relationship with a subordinate.

Cruz, 26, eventually married the person, who was a lower-ranking Marine in her unit, according The New York Times.

“The biggest mistakes I’ve made in the infantry were from my personal relationships,” Cruz told the Times. “I really want to move on.”

Where are the female Marines?

Two years after combat billets were opened, women still aren't in them.
    By: Shawn Snow

Cruz was reduced in rank from sergeant to corporal and restricted to the base after pleading guilty to fraternization as part of a broader plea agreement. The commanding general of 2nd Marine Division will now decide if she will be forced out with an other-than-honorable discharge, according to the Times.

“Regardless of the outcome of this case, Corporal Cruz has been a courageous pioneer for women in the military and she has earned a place in Marine Corps history,” Cruz’s lawyer, Capt. Jacob R. Johnston, said in a statement to The New York Times.

Default He's a white male!

Default This is NOT a joke

James Comey’s Memoir To Become CBS Miniseries

Tom Arnold will play James Comey.
    Via Washington Examiner:
    Former FBI Director James Comey’s memoir, A Higher Loyalty, could soon be turned into a miniseries.
    CBS Television Studios won an auction and is in the final stages of negotiations for the rights to Comey’s book, according to Deadline Hollywood.
    Comey published A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership in April and in it detailed his relationship with President Trump, who fired him in May 2017.
    According to the Deadline exclusive, Comey was involved in the pitch meetings in Los Angeles.
    A source familiar with the situation said the auction process was a “highly competitive situation,” CNBC reported.
    The miniseries adaptation of the book would likely be written by Billy Ray, the screenwriter for “Captain Phillips,” and would be executive produced by Ray, Alex Kurtzman, Shane Salerno, and Heather Kadin.