Thread: Spicy hot smoked chicken wings

Default Spicy hot smoked chicken wings

This is my favorite hot wings recipe.

You can bake the wings as well if you prefer.

Chicken wings..whatever amount you'll need. separated at joint. I save the tips for stock.

Rub
    2 parts paprika ( I used either smoked or hot Hungarian paprika)
    1 part powdered garlic ( not garlic salt)
    1/2 part onion powder
    1/2 part dry mustard
    1 part black pepper
    3/4 part or to taste dried cayenne powder
    3/4 part cumin
    1/4 part salt ( I use kosher salt)

Sauce
    1 tablespoon rub
    1 16 oz ( or more if your making a very large batch) bottle your fav hot pepper sauce
    2 tbsp tub margarine ( I never use butter, sub that if you prefer)
    juice of 1 lemon

get the rub all over your wings..you can do this in advance and keep them refrigerated for a few hrs.

Smoke your wings for about an 1 hr.- 1 1/4 hr.
    I use a combination of hickory and peach
    if your new to smoking...aside from the commercially available wood chips you can use any fruit wood, sugar maple, or oak among others..never use soft woods like pine..in the case of peach..its best when its green
    You can use an ordinary charcoal grill...just build a fire on one side and place your wings on the other put the smoking wood right on the fire..or wrap it in aluminum foil poked with holes..close the grill..leaving the vents open so the charcoal burns. Rotate the wings...those closest to the fire will cook fastest.

If you don't want to smoke them...place the wings on a pan and bake at 350 for an hr or so..turning them half way through.

Put your wings directly into the sauce while being heated. and serve.
    I serve it with commercial blue cheese dressing...one of he few things I don't make myself...I use 'marie's' or any other 'fresh' dressing in the dairy section which must be refrigerated.

I am going to try this. I tried a recipe for hot wings from youtube and it pretty much amounted to a little bit of chicken in the hot sauce. It was terrible. Thank you for posting this.
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I am going to try this. I tried a recipe for hot wings from youtube and it pretty much amounted to a little bit of chicken in the hot sauce. It was terrible. Thank you for posting this.
    My pleasure..Hope you enjoy it.