Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Request from a Former Mormon

And Mormonism has a strong root in gnostic and mystic teaching...back to Swedenborg(eternal marriage, plural marriage, mother in heaven), the Blue Lodge Masonic ordinances(temple ordinances), and Kabbalism(see King Follett sermon). Not long after learning about Kabbalism, Joseph Smith mixed that with his theology and the King Follett sermon was born. Alexander Neibaur was a pivotal Kabbalistic influence on Joseph Smith. One of my old professors traced his genealogy back to Neibaur...Hugh Nibley. Some whacko stuff came from that line. It would seem Nibley's family had some kind of crazy spirit attached to them or something. That's all I can think. Genius of a man, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Gnosticism (knowledge based on esoteric thought or visions outside the Bible, among other things) is the basis for most false religions/cults. Anyone who has studied Buddhism, Hinduism, and other mystic religions/cults realize that they are all based on visions or esoteric knowledge given by someone who has had an encounter of some kind. These encounters are demonic and are not of God.

Like Cary said, the leaders of these false religions/cults are often times very pious, and have huge followings.

Yes. I agree. More and more are finding truth. Many LDS, once they start to understand, just don't know what to do next. When people come out of cults, they don't know how to act or what to do. One thing I hear over and over from other LDS that are leaving, is that they hardly know how to carry on normal conversations with regular people. Now, you might find that hard to believe but having come from it, I don't. Mormons like to stick to themselves.

In the LDS Church, your entire life is wrapped up in church function. Home teaching, visiting teaching, temple attendance, missionary splits, canneries, welfare farm assignments, priesthood meetings, relief society meetings, sacrament meetings, Sunday school meetings, general conference, area conference, stake dances for youth, BYC meetings, presidency meetings, stake conference, etc. It's all encompassing. At 18 now, 19 when I was a pup, you can serve as a missionary. When I was younger, you'd meet on Tuesdays for primary and on Sundays you had jr Sunday school and priesthood, then had to go back later in the afternoon for sacrament meeting. Costs drove meeting schedules down to where they are now. Many wish they'd ditch priesthood meeting and just have 2 hour schedule on Sunday, rather than 3 hours. The need to free up space at BYU, and weld young men earlier to the church, drove the missionary age to 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Look4Truth;2611058 The Truth for LDS members is out there, they just have to want to go and find out what the Truth is.

[B
    Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. ~ Matthew 7:12-13[/B]

Hey graystone,

Just wanted to say that I sure appreciate you sharing your experiences with the LDS.

A couple of months ago some LDS missionaries came to our Pastor's door. They were a couple of young girls (18-20 ?). I thought that was odd. Have only ever seen young guys. Thought this was a new twist, and also dangerous, in this day in age.

Anyway, we kind of did a little research. We knew about the whole Joseph Smith thing, and the Book of Mormon in a general sense, but when we got to digging, came across a couple of strange things.

1) that there were different sects in the LDS
    2) their faith/religion is based on "new" truth/revelation-which evolves over time. Case in point: Multiple wives so those spirits circling the earth can have a home in multiple babies. Didn't run across how they explain the new revelation that providing homes for those spirits wasn't important anymore.
    3) Adoptionism: where Christ was born a regular man and became god.

Just as a side bar: nearly all false religions employ the same tactics as these. Did you know that the JW's (they have their own Bible too) had a doctrine that there would be 144,000 (based on Revelation) of JW's and either Christ would return or then would go to heaven. Anyway, that changed when their enrollment went over 144,000 and nothing happened.

It is interesting that the LDS are diminishing may see some more changes coming down to help boost enrollment. Even as the PCUSA are doing. Several splits have occurred in the Presbyterian denomination, and the PCUSA is the most liberal of the bunch. The Moslem praying is a trendy thing to show they are "tolerant" and meant to pull liberals into their denomination. Even as Baptist are helping to build Mosques. It's all about Nickles, Noses, and Numbers, not truth.

When we were involved in the Baptist denomination the idea was to keep new converts busy. Get them involved in everything you can.

I'm just rattling around, but another thought might be that all these religions will be pulled into the One World Religion, and a lot of the new policies are trending in that direction. There are more similarities then before, so the trend is more in the oneness direction.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I totally respect Homesteader even though I don't share either of her religions; LDS or Trumpism.

I find her posts to be thoughtful and a valuable addition to this community.

I would hate to see her driven away.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Hey Davey,

I'm wondering what you mean by "driven"?

I'm also wondering if you feel the same way about ForeverBlessed who has received a tremendous amount of push back based on their religious beliefs. And if you do then why haven't you spoken up for them?

And BTW just for your information the target is MORMONISM not homesteader.

Where's Littlefish? Where were you when she as a person was targeted.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

The Seminary....

"Our Chapel's room to share unique education and challenge beliefs. Doctrinal discussions and opposing views of the Word- Remember though to love, know, and serve God in your discussion here."

This is the purpose of the Seminary. Maybe we should have a list of all belief systems, cults, and religions that this doesn't apply to.

Maybe for the purpose of not hurting Homesteader's feelings and causing her to be driven away, this thread should be closed. Everything that needs to be said has been said about Mormonism.

The next time I see or read someone's comments that are against Christian beliefs, I'll remember this thread and those Born Again Believers who have been driven away.

One's religion tends to be important to them.
    Whether it is correct or not.
    An attack on it tends to make them stiffen up and increase their resistance.

I think you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Personally, I think L4T's methods aren't the most loving.
    If I had to rely on the dogmatism for my belief in Jesus, I'd leave, too.

She (he?) has the only Truth and will beat you until you submit

My faith is much simpler and doesn't require legalism.

Regarding LittleFish.
    I don't recall the attacks on her or I would have asked for it to stop, too because of my respect for her.

It's easy to be on an internet forum and post dogma and apologetics.

But, I suspect, the same approach out in the meat world would not yield very desirable results
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

It would help a great deal, Davy, if ppl would start threads in the correct forum when posting. If this thread had been started here in the Seminary where it belongs, or The Chapel even, those who weren't interested would not have seen it. Many choose to stay away from The Chapel, because they already know that beliefs are challenged, and want no part in it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it was posted in the COC to begin with, unless it was to cause division from the start. The OP from the beginning was to Christian audiences.

I wondered why the C of C, too.
    Haven't seen much of the original poster since it started.

BTW, I have no problem with discussing other religions or, even, denominations.
    That is healthy.

As I said, my beliefs are not Homesteader's but think I would find her a great neighbor and, possibly, friend out here.

I have no vast theological knowledge compared to many others here.

And I fail daily in my Walk

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    I wondered why the C of C, too.
    Haven't seen much of the original poster since it started.

BTW, I have no problem with discussing other religions or, even, denominations.
    That is healthy.

As I said, my beliefs are not Homesteader's but think I would find her a great neighbor and, possibly, friend out here.

I have no vast theological knowledge compared to many others here.

And I fail daily in my Walk
    All I can say is that we all have our faults. There are more people educated in the Word here than I am. I don't feel threatened by that. I want to learn and have all my false beliefs and doctrines exposed. Once we get to the point that we believe that we know ALL truth, we are headed for great disappointment.

The most contentious topic that can be had is among Born Again Believers about rapture timing. As far as I know, there has not been one member who has left, because their belief was challenged. And this topic gets ugly at times. It shouldn't be that way, though.

So, I will say it again...No one should think that their own beliefs are above challenge. It happens to us all.