Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickle-making Question

Default Pickle-making Question

I am going to try my hand at making pickled okra. A co-worker of mine brought some to work a while back, and they were delicious. I have her recipe, but it doesn't mention doing anything to the okra before putting it into the jars. Should I blanch it first or just put it in the jars without doing anything else? The jars are processed in a water bath after filling with brine, so maybe that will be enough cooking for them.

Just wondering if anyone with more experience can offer some input on this. Thanks!
    He said to them,"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

I just pack okra in the jars without doing anything to them. Then pour boiling brine over them to fills the jars. You can water bath can them if you like, but I've always had success without doing that. Jars seal as the liquid brine cools. Others may water bath, though.

Great! I haven't been able to get to the store to get the brine ingredients, but I'm going to give this a try later in the week.

Thanks!
    He said to them,"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Wow.. how strong of a "brine", Sherree? And no vinegar? Honestly, that scares me silly... awful good way to get botulism in sealed jars....

I'm gonna have to do some research on brine and botulism... not sure how salt tolerant it is.

Sunnyside.. unfortunately, we live far enough north that Okra isn't on the menu (or garden list). So I can't help. But my first thought was "why not ask your coworker how she does it?

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Wow.. how strong of a "brine", Sherree? And no vinegar? Honestly, that scares me silly... awful good way to get botulism in sealed jars....

I'm gonna have to do some research on brine and botulism... not sure how salt tolerant it is.

Sunnyside.. unfortunately, we live far enough north that Okra isn't on the menu (or garden list). So I can't help. But my first thought was "why not ask your coworker how she does it?

Summerthyme
    I don't work with her anymore. I could probably track her down, but to be honest, I don't think she liked me very much--LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme
    I've never lost a jar, but water bath canning is a good idea. I do it sometimes. The brine recipe that I use calls for a strong vinegar and salt solution. I would have dig out my recipe to see the ratio of water, salt, and vinegar. I usually add a few hot peppers or garlic to each jar if you like it on the hot side.

Ah, ok...

I was translating "brine" into just salt and water. As long as it has sufficient vinegar, it's safe.

I've been doing a little reading, and several recipes recommend boiling water bath processing, not so much for safety, but because they say it gives a more even brining/helps the brine penetrate the okra.

Summerthyme

I was taught to poke each okra pod with a regular dinner fork one time before packing the jars. This allows the brine to penetrate the interior faster and better.

Quote Originally Posted by mtviolet View Post
    I was taught to poke each okra pod with a regular dinner fork one time before packing the jars. This allows the brine to penetrate the interior faster and better.
    That's a great idea! Thanks!

Just a follow-up--I followed the advice about puncturing the okra with a fork, and the pickles turned out GREAT! I've since made another batch and plan to make at least one more before the end of the season. Thanks for all the great advice!