Thread: Cheeses and fermented foods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, I've been making cheese daily for almost 8 years now and have reliably made a sort of cheddar from fresh out of the goat milk. I have also made the best mozzarella that way. Fresh from the animal, put in rennet, cut the curd and then let sit til it stretches in hot water. Usually takes all day to reach that point.

If you have clean, fresh milk and provide it with the right conditions, it'll be fine. Working with raw milk and fermented foods requires a different mind set. Those foods are alive and don't get bad, per se, they just change. And don't be afraid of mold, it's an integral part of cheese. Just look at bandaged cheddar.

There is sooo much more involved in cheese than lactobacillus! If in doubt, use kefir, it also has both mesophilic and thermophilic bacteria. If using store milk, use kefir. I have not always got the cheese I was after (both with commercial cultures and with raw milk) but it has always been a tasty cheese.

Thank-you so much for your input.

What do you do for a cheese ''cave''?
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

I have an older, small fridge that I keep at about 50F and keep a pan of water to keep proper humidity.