Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Are Opposed To CCM (Contemporary Christian Music)

Default Why We Are Opposed To CCM (Contemporary Christian Music)

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/opposedtoccm.html

An enlightening article about the pitfalls of Contemporary Christian Music.
    Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

I like this one:

O.W.

O.W.

One more:

O.W.

My two cents and that only --

If we were to ban all contemporary music, where would we draw the line? To the psalms sung by Christ and the early church? Perhaps not even those since many were written by an outright liar, adulterer and murderer!

And yet that psalmist, as full of lust as he was, is called a man after God's own heart in the Scriptures.

Also, it is often pointed out concerning other people and things, God can use a donkey, tyrants, and simple fishermen to accomplish His will. I suppose the same can be said of music for His people.

Personally, I gained much as a younger Christian from the music of Twila Paris, Rich Mullins, Keith Green, Michael Card, and others. More currently, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, and several lesser known worship leaders have drawn out my praise to the LORD God in music. And, I still go to the old hymnal at the piano to play and sing, and often use a YouTube playlist made of the music from the choir of a church in Fort Payne, Alabama because it reminds me so much of the church where I was raised, right down to the red carpet and upholstery.

I was drawn in by and on behalf of others to be a part of this battle in our little church as the younger folk (50 and under!) wanted more contemporary music mixed in with it now and then. The older ones (who retained seats on the board) refused to budge. Finally, God moved, board membership suddenly became decidedly younger on average by about 20 years, and blended worship prevailed (along with several other long-desired changes in ministry).

As in all things, when it comes to music, songwriters, and artists/performers, Christians must discern what is of God, what glorifies God, and what enables the heart, mind, and soul to best render worship and service unto God. Once that is known, it is not up to us to judge those whom He uses to accomplish His will and bring Himself glory. We are to simply draw nearer, worship and serve.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Your humility is showing LittleFish.

I didn't read the article, till I read your thoughts on the matter and I found this to be somewhat humorous if not contradictory of sorts:

Following are four of the reasons that we are opposed to it.

1. Contemporary Christian Music is worldly music.

Our worship of God, is it not worldly? Considerable effort was expended to make It so in a prescribed fashion ....

O.W.

Let me say that it was not my intention to offend anyone over their choice of music, but to share with them a perspective that I fully realize is not embraced by the mainstream.

Let me, also, see if I can bring some clarity to the subject matter.

God created music. I think we could all agree on that. He created music as a means by which to worship Him. He also created Lucifer, who was the minister of music in heaven before he got the boot.

So basically God has His worship music and Lucifer (Satan) has his. They are not one and the same and it is up to each individual to seek which category their music fits in. I don't want to come across as judgemental but I would like to share with you my thoughts.

I was around before Contemporary Christian Music made it's first appearance with groups such as Petra. I realize it's popularity has grown over the years and now has branched out into several categories .

In my early days I was heavy into rock and roll especially in the 60's and 70's before the Lord delivered me from that addiction in 1978.

I remember how subtle rock and roll entered in the early 60's with the Beatles and their song "I Want To Hold Your Hand". Innocent enough, right? Things changed by the time they came out with the "White Album".

There was a British rock group called Savoy Brown that came on the scene in the late 60's with a boogie beat in a song called "The Boogie". Sounded innocent enough, back then. Later, they came out with their hit song called "Hellbound Train". There are youtube videos.

I consider myself as somewhat an authority on early rock and roll music. As such, I can readily recognize the rock and roll back beat when I hear it. I realize not everyone may be able to discern this sound.

When I listen to CCM, I hear that familiar beat. The beat (backbeat) is not limited to CCM. It is in many other genres of music, today.

To sum it up, I believe all music can be lumped into one of two categories. It is either Godly or un-Godly music. It is up to each individual to decide what is acceptable to him or her, but it is up to God to decide what is acceptable to Him.

Again, no offence intended,

Blessings,
    P.S.
    Last edited by PsalmSinger; 10-24-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsalmSinger View Post
    Well I guess I will have to try to extricate myself from this minefield. But first, let me say that it was not my intention to offend anyone .... Again, no offence intended,

Blessings,
    P.S.
    Hmmn. I've missed ...something.

Minefield? Offense?

What you have encountered is merely a difference of opinion influenced by perspective.

Takin offense ain't LittleFish's style and certainty not mine.

Heck I don't even belong up in here, so I'm gonna go find Lenno and bug him a bit ....

You keep on sharing your stuff. Ain't nobody here gonna blind side ya, if there is somethin to take issue with, folks will come at ya square on and in a civil fashion.

Now if'n you're extra super sensitive 'bout folks agreeing with ya to the "T", now that is a rarity but don't take it personal.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Hmmn. I've missed ...something.

Minefield? Offense?

What you have encountered is merely a difference of opinion influenced by perspective.

Takin offense ain't LittleFish's style and certainty not mine.

Heck I don't even belong up in here, so I'm gonna go find Lenno and bug him a bit ....

You keep on sharing your stuff. Ain't nobody here gonna blind side ya, if there is somethin to take issue with, folks will come at ya square on and in a civil fashion.

Now if'n you're extra super sensitive 'bout folks agreeing with ya to the "T", now that is a rarity but don't take it personal.

O.W.
    Cleaned it up a little.
    Thanks

I am opposed to the congregation singing "seven eleven" songs.
    That's seven words repeated eleven times.
    Often sung without the music and if you have the words, they are not written exactly as they are sung.

:-p
    Last edited by JohnWalker; 10-24-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: d@ng autocorrect
    "I never let schooling interfere with my education."