Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Hey Summertyme or Samuel Adams

Hey Summerthyme,

You answered another question for me without knowing it.

We probably lost several bushes around here over the summer. Will know more as spring moves in. Those that I know made it, fruit, nut trees, I've been putting wood ash around. I have burned a couple big piles of wood and not only am getting it from the wood heater, but from those as well. Well, I've about got everything covered. And was wondering if I should put some in the compost pile. I think from your answer, I'll leave it out of the compost.

The cold frame isn't totally out. It was just easier to go buy the stuff instead of scavenging the stuff up. And our little "sun" room seems to be working out., with no cost involved. And we got room to still go bigger with bigger pots. However, we're not talking thousands.

Yeah, we got hit with a really big surprise Friday on income. O well, it is what it is, and we got to deal.

Told the dog he was going to have to learn to eat grass, and he just looked at me. Then I told him everybody has to do their share, and he still looked at me. Then I said if you don't, I will get someone who will eat grass. He walked off, so I think he got the message.

Neither have opened quite enough to hand pollenate just yet. Thanks all for the advice.

And thanks luvmyvet, will check out the chart. Did and it is quite good. Got it bookmarked, thanks.
    Last edited by CaryC; 01-09-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Update:

We have one cucumber blossom, and one squash blossom fully open. I've placed a couple of "new" q-tips down there so I am ready.

On another front. I was working in the yard yesterday, messing around, and walked by our peach tree. I could not believe it, it has buds on it.

Last week we had one night that got down to 15 and the next 11. Yesterday it was 73, and will be again today. Hit a low of 50ish for the high, the next and then again in the 70's for about a week.

However Feb. can be our worst winter month, so I'm thinking these buds might not make it.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Update:

We have one cucumber blossom, and one squash blossom fully open. I've placed a couple of "new" q-tips down there so I am ready.

On another front. I was working in the yard yesterday, messing around, and walked by our peach tree. I could not believe it, it has buds on it.

Last week we had one night that got down to 15 and the next 11. Yesterday it was 73, and will be again today. Hit a low of 50ish for the high, the next and then again in the 70's for about a week.

However Feb. can be our worst winter month, so I'm thinking these buds might not make it.
    If you only have a one or two trees and the'yre not too big, you can protect the buds, or at least some of them, when you know it's going to freeze hard. In a light freeze, a couple of layers of sheets will do. A harder freeze, you can run sprinklers till it warms up....unless it's so cold that your hose freezes.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb
    If you only have a one or two trees and the'yre not too big, you can protect the buds, or at least some of them, when you know it's going to freeze hard. In a light freeze, a couple of layers of sheets will do. A harder freeze, you can run sprinklers till it warms up....unless it's so cold that your hose freezes.
    Yeah, that's what most people do here with their fruit trees. Cover with old sheets in a light freeze. We have too many fruit trees and they are somewhat big. Too big to cover. Apple, peach, and plum trees are already budding, because we haven't really had a winter so far. Maybe 2 weeks of really cold weather, but we have been averaging 10 to 20 degrees above our normal temps. It's in the mid 70's today with lows in the upper 50 to 60+ range. That's been the trend for us this year.

Like Cary said, our worst winter month is February, but the way things are going, we may have a very early spring. Who knows with the fickle weather we have down here? We got a last minute full blown ice storm one year in April.

Hey,

Well, Sherree has come on board full bore, with the early planting etc.... I guess finding out our income has taken a nose dive will do that LOL.

So, we are putting up a couple more grow lights.

Like I said am planning to start tomatoes around first of Feb.

I thought, heck, might as well start flowers like marigolds, and herbs, while I'm at it. So, should I start those about the same time, or start those earlier, or later? Advice?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Hey,

Well, Sherree has come on board full bore, with the early planting etc.... I guess finding out our income has taken a nose dive will do that LOL.

So, we are putting up a couple more grow lights.

Like I said am planning to start tomatoes around first of Feb.

I thought, heck, might as well start flowers like marigolds, and herbs, while I'm at it. So, should I start those about the same time, or start those earlier, or later? Advice?
    We grow the vast majority of our food and have seven kids (one now married off). But we have lots of retired friends who get it done for themselves as well. It takes an adjustment to eat what is in season while it's growing and to eat what you have the rest of the time, but usually you can eat like a king compared to most other people. Best advice....plan ahead, stay organized, keep to a schedule.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb
    We grow the vast majority of our food and have seven kids (one now married off). But we have lots of retired friends who get it done for themselves as well. It takes an adjustment to eat what is in season while it's growing and to eat what you have the rest of the time, but usually you can eat like a king compared to most other people. Best advice....plan ahead, stay organized, keep to a schedule.
    Oh yes, WR, we plan to grow a majority of our own food starting this year. Like I said earlier, we've just seen it as a hobby before, but now it's serious. We will be healthier for it as well.

Seeing how well our seedlings are doing under the grow lights, these things have cukes and squash that are unbelievable! I have to admit, I didn't think this was going to work. It's working so well that we've decided to turn my sun/laundry room into a year around green house. We're doing some rearranging to have plenty of room and adding more grow lights.

This is sure turning into a great adventure, thanks to everyone's help!

There are a lot of free guides you can download
    It will tell you when you can plant certain crops for your growing zone.
    Also, when to start seeds.
    And there are others that will tell you how much to plant.

These are only guides and not the gospel but better than flying blind
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    There are a lot of free guides you can download
    It will tell you when you can plant certain crops for your growing zone.
    Also, when to start seeds.
    And there are others that will tell you how much to plant.

These are only guides and not the gospel but better than flying blind
    Yeah, Cary has looked at some of those. He's like me, though. He likes to have hard copies on hand, and has bought several good ones, plus the ones others have given him.

FWIW, we have squash that are about 4 inches long, and are looking very healthy. Given a few more weeks, and we'll be enjoying them fresh off the vines. Cukes may take a little longer, since they're only about an inch!

I download the PDFs and print just what I need (and then misplace them).

I need to get busy.
    I still have some of last year's in my basement
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner