Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Summertyme or Samuel Adams

The biggest thing is to NOT make pets out of them!
    You're kidding right? Man, I've already got names for them Lucinda, Geraldine, and Agnes.

Sorry, I'm just an old city slicker, and can't help it. I know you're right.

It may come to that one day, and then I'll suck it up, and to it.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Since Cary has a compost bin started, what do you all put in it? We have tons of oak leaves, but what else can go in there? Coffee grounds, egg shells, potato peelings, old saw dust, news papers, etc.? I usually just dump those things right into the raised beds. It breaks down, and Cary tills it under come spring.

Most of your kitchen waste except meats
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    Thanks Davy!

OK things are starting to get weird.

We've joked around about the squash and cuke's taking over everything. Now it's serious.

The bloom on the largest .....squash is starting to open. It's 11* outside. There are about 8-10 more coming along, in 2 plants/pots, that are side by side.

Then there are 4 pots, with 3 each of cukes. With about 40 tiny cukes on them, and are showing blossoms on the tips. I've got some small sticks for them to grab on to.

I'm wondering about pollination? Will I have to do anything? Since they are in the house. No bees, or breezy to help do it for me.

Oooops correction. What with it being 11* outside today, and 15 yesterday AM. I keep a little fire going in our cook stove to help offset the cold, and since it is where Sherree has her washer and dryer, to help her keep it from being so cold down there. Which I assume the plants are loving. Went down there to stoke up the fire and look at the babies. 2 of the cukes' blooms, have started opening.

My plan is to have the cold frame built by the end of the month. Am planning on using cedar, but wonder if I should paint the interior black, for heat purposes?

Move these plants out there. Feb. here can have some really nice days. Not to mention it will be 60* here Tuesday. Feb. can also be the worst winter month of the year, some years. So for those days, I will have to cover the cold frame.

Then first-third week in Feb. start tomatoes, peppers from seed, here in the house again. Also with any nice days in Feb. turn garden under, and plant potatoes, and onions.

But for now what about pollinating these squash and cukes?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Since Cary has a compost bin started, what do you all put in it? We have tons of oak leaves, but what else can go in there? Coffee grounds, egg shells, potato peelings, old saw dust, news papers, etc.? I usually just dump those things right into the raised beds. It breaks down, and Cary tills it under come spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    You've got a great list started, Sherree.....and that old saw about not putting meat in compost is sage advice for the clueless city dweller, but once you have an established pile, especially a hot pile, complete with worms scouring the outer layers for goodies....meat is not a problem.
    Mix those oak leaves and sawdust, old or new, throughout the pile, and cover the entire pile with sawdust or similar dry carbon source to lock in odors, moisture and nutrients.

Here is a series that I wrote on the topic in another, less aggressive forum than the Tree.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/spe...-survival.html

If there is interest, I'll post the rest.

Some of it I posted shortly after joining, here, but there may be some who missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    OK things are starting to get weird.

What about pollinating these squash and cukes?
    Got Q-tip ?

Not the charts and graphs version, but the other kind......

Man we have got all kinds of things that eat meat around here, so it will never make to the pile. Husband, dog, cats, etc. LOL

Started to make all kinds of funnies about Q-tips, but maybe I shouldn't.

Seems like someone else, Summerthyme (?), or maybe it was Davy who mentioned it. I was wondering if I really needed to do it? They are pretty close to one another.

Also I need to wait until a few of the blossoms are open? Then run the q-tip around in them? I've never been a bee before.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I think you can order miniature beehives, online, that are made
    for inside operations.....

www.putabeeinsherreesbonnette.com

If you can't afford that, or think it may be a bad idea......yeah, wait til the blossoms are open and gently swab all inside flower parts. A few jokes about gentle, loving touches may be appropriate....you know around home and all......

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    I think you can order miniature beehives, online, that are made
    for inside operations.....

www.putabeeinsherreesbonnette.com

If you can't afford that, or think it may be a bad idea......yeah, wait til the blossoms are open and gently swab all inside flower parts. A few jokes about gentle, loving touches may be appropriate....you know around home and all......
    Bad, bad idea. It would bee like trying to drive a car with one inside.

Question: Can the q-tips be used q-tips, or would it be better new. Just trying to find multipurpose items. We use our empty toilet paper rolls for starting fires. Sort of thing.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him