Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Summertyme or Samuel Adams

Others do things differently.

I clean once a year.
    Sometimes twice.

I just did mine last week so I could have a clean start to adding straw so they would be warm in the winter.
    I dumped mine on the part of the garden that isn't raised beds.
    I had previously had a big load of horse manure hauled in for that area a couple weeks before so it would be diluted.

But, you could throw it in a compost pile and turn it occasionally.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    So you do clean it out, how often?
    I cain't speak to ... well, none of it 'cept to say Iused to visit Amish folk. They reconfigured their chicken house so that the floor of the chicken house was actually a grate and about two feet off of the ground. The "grate flooring" allowed for the waste to fall through to the ground and cooling air to circulate through the house in summer. From the outside the waste could be pulled from beneath the house. Hinged side panels were lowered and latched during cold periods.

Seemed like a pretty efficient design.

O.W.

Hey,

Ya know Davy twice a year might really work out great. Rotate your compost pile, when you clean out your chicken coup. I also rotate my mags every 6 months or so, so the springs won't get weak. It would help to remember to do each. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    I cain't speak to ... well, none of it 'cept to say Iused to visit Amish folk. They reconfigured their chicken house so that the floor of the chicken house was actually a grate and about two feet off of the ground. The "grate flooring" allowed for the waste to fall through to the ground and cooling air to circulate through the house in summer. From the outside the waste could be pulled from beneath the house. Hinged side panels were lowered and latched during cold periods.

Seemed like a pretty efficient design.

O.W.
    Actually, that does sound pretty good!

Saw a composting outhouse in a magazine, and I was like, "We NEED one of these!!!" And Sherree said, "O, NO WE don't!

All right are you guys ready for this?:

Break out the keg! That would be keg of green tea, don't ya know. We have got a cucumber UP. Yeah, for real man, one of 'em is up. Ain't that cool?

Sherree wants to know what we are going to do with it now? It's way to early......WAY to early.

And I was like just let the thing grow, and we can pick cucumbers offen the wall, from the inside. And if anyone comes over we can say it's Christmas decorations. It'll be great!

Uh O, I can FEEL bad eyes on me.

I'm going to pop me another green tea and we can figure out what to do with it.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I have no idea how we went from growing tomatoes from seed, to cleaning chicken coops, to composting toilets in one thread........

You guys have got to give Cary a break! We're gonna be taken over by cucumbers, and it's not even December, yet!

And I was like just let the thing grow,
    House plants is good ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    House plants is good ....

O.W.
    Thank you OW I appreciate the support.

Decisions, decisions for the ol' retiree. Waiting on it to rain. It should already be raining. We need it bad, real bad. So am inside.

So, it comes down to either reloading some more bullets, or taking some Strike Anywhere Matches (recently acquired thanks to OW) and dipping them in clear fingernail polish to waterproof them.

Think I'll eat lunch.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

So you do clean it out, how often?

And then put it in the compost pile to "cure" for about 6 months.

Many times, I have cleaned out the chicken coops in the fall and immediately applied the stuff (loose and sawdusty, in our situation) to the asparagus and strawberry beds.

Otherwise, I would certainly utilize the material in the compost.

I'll second that house plants is good business.

In fact, I highly recommend sweet taters for that purpose.
    The leaves are salad grade and you can't have too many sweet tater starts, come spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams
    I'll second that house plants is good business.

In fact, I highly recommend sweet taters for that purpose.
    The leaves are salad grade and you can't have too many sweet tater starts, come spring.
    I'm all for house plants, especially the ornamental kind. Cary use to make fun of me, cause I had so many. House was like a jungle. Now, with all these seeds sprouting, my laundry room will be overtaken! We simply do not have the room, especially when they need transplanting into larger pots.

Lesson to be learned........Do not start seeds so early next time!

Hey SA,

Didn't realize sweet taters grew that far north. Excuse me a sec. Sherree grab that cucumber before it goes out the window. Don't want none escaping ya know.

Anyway, where was I.......

O, yea would seem to take a bunch of saw dust for that, do you have a place where you get it? Or do you generate enough? Would leaves also work?

O, and had a big line of showers headed our way, and never got a single drop. Not one.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him