Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 106

Thread: Arctic

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    The webcam located in Barrow, Alaska shows some open water today (Dec 28 )



    http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The webcam located in Barrow, Alaska shows some open water today (Dec 28 )
    ... glowbull warming from all them lightbulbs.

    O.W.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Maine looks north, hoping to become a gateway to the Arctic


    For government and indigenous officials from around the world,
    the Arctic Council meeting here in October was a week-long
    opportunity to discuss shared Arctic issues like sustainable
    development and protecting ecosystems.

    For the people of Maine, it was a week-long opportunity to
    reconnect with their rich Arctic history, and to imagine a future
    where Maine is not a remote and limited corner of a powerful
    country, but a gateway to, and steward of, the rapidly changing
    and increasingly active Arctic region.

    The increased activity is, of course, in large part a result of
    climate change.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/maine...arctic-2016-12

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    For government and indigenous officials from around the world,
    the Arctic Council meeting here in October was a week-long
    opportunity to discuss shared Arctic issues like sustainable
    development and protecting ecosystems.
    Two very fine examples of oxy moronishness.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    For the people of Maine, it was a week-long opportunity to
    reconnect with their rich Arctic history, and to imagine a future
    where Maine is not a remote and limited corner
    of a powerful
    country, but a gateway to, and steward of, the rapidly changing
    and increasingly active Arctic region.
    You believe them Mainiacs want money grubbin outsiders traipsin through their, quiet, peaceful environ? To what and whose benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The increased activity is, of course, in large part a result of
    climate change.
    Whose "activity"?

    O.W.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    I'm saving empty milk jugs at our house. My plan is to fill them with water, freeze them, and then ship them addressed to Santa Clause at the North Pole.

    Yeah, I know, it's awful good of me; but I think we all can do our part.

    And after all, we all know global warming is as real as Santa.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Ice coverage during November of each year



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    I'm going out to buy more milk right now--can't have too many jugs for freezing, you know.

    Also, now might be a good time to invest in sun tan lotion. I hear the Eskimos burn easily.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slave Region 10
    Posts
    55,040

    Default

    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    "You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."
    John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir of Enfield (1875-1940): Author and Diplomat

  9. #29
    breezy's Avatar
    breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Behind enemy lines
    Posts
    40,546

    Default

    The horror! What will our furry friends do?

    They will cease to exist......

    With all that dramatic melt going on, shouldn't the residents of NYC be doing the backstroke by now?

    WWAD?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Jan 1st - 2016's sea ice extent was the lowest in the satellite record.
    We'll see if 2017 starts off lower than the previous year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •