Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuming....New JD baler

Default Fuming....New JD baler

Two summers ago, time of second cut, I payed a pretty penny for an off the lot JD 348 baler. They got it all ready, and delivered it out to me all ready to go. Well, after two days of broken bales, phone calls to the dealer, blah blah, they send a guy out. He gets it going but barely. I was still breaking about every tenth bale, but then it rained and I lost half a field of hay....not a happy guy. So, they bring it in and "fix" it....all ready for the next spring. Same problem again....wait two days for someone to show up....lose half a field of hay to rain again....grrrr. by second cut, it was running decent, they said they had found the problem with a couple of seized bearings. It was still breaking more bales than a new baler should, but I chalked it up to junk twine and cleaned up the baler for winter and stored it. In the mean time, the dealer says to just give the baler some break in time and it'll stop breaking bales....ok. So, three weeks ago I get the baler ready, grease, lube, hook up to the pto, everything appears in order. So yesterday morning Ihad half a field ready to go....guess what. So I call the dealer and tell them I'm about to roll their baler off a cliff and go buy a New Holland. But they can't get anyone out to fix it...GRRRR!!!! So, the warranty is up anyway, so I call the neighborhood guy who works on equipment as an independent. He can't make it, but says he can get to me first thing in the morning. So this morning he shows up and it takes about two minutes of running it to know the problem....the tucker fingers had been seized up from day one. I cn't see that happening from the tractor, I thought it was breaking twine, but it wasn't letting the second knot get tied. An easy fix, but now I'm pressing up against weather again.... Guess what. Half a field again....drenched. Moral of the story....screw the warranty, always call the guy you know is competent....and next time, maybe buy New Holland. At least I got about 100 bales, and not a single break. But lost probably 250.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

yep ,,,, they've done the same with their new fangled , fuel injected ,

cornfusor controlled , power trains on their tractors . Takes a week to

get a tech rep out to do diagnostics on what is wrong ! AND they want

300 bucks ea. service call .
    the bad boys say " Submit or Die " ,

I say " Fight or Die " , your choice !

Yeah, and It's also always fun running a regen with hay dust flying all around
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

Yep... I'll NEVER buy a piece of green crap again, ever.

The dealers only have time for the "big guys", and they must pay their repair guys minimum wage, because they're clueless. And they don't give a damn about the money you're losing in the field, either.

Back in 1978, we bought a brand new JD 2840 diesel. Wheel casting cracked at 4 months old. Steering went at 8 months... was "fixed" under warranty twice. Came off the truck still needing at least 8 turns of the steering wheel to even START the front wheels turning! At somewhere around 1200 hours, it needed a complete engine rebuild- cavitation had destroyed the cylinders. And nope... no recall, despite it being an obvious factory issue with every one of the POS machines.

Oh yeah, and somewhere in there, they recalled them all and had to split them to install parking brakes... they had put a "Park" gear on them, and at least three farmers were run over and killed when it jumped out of gear.

We tried once more to get the steering fixed, and again- to the tune of almost a thousand bucks- it was just as bad when they brought it back.

When our youngest son was 14, he got sick of driving the thing. He ripped it down, looked at the steering mechanism, redesigned it, and had it fixed in one day!

NEVER, NEVER again.

Summerthyme

Wow. Bad deal. You want to know the stupidest part of it all? I also had two old Massey 12 balers....a 1964 and a 1969. Both ran perfectly without a hitch. I bought the pair for 2500 bucks. I sold them when a guy offered me 5k for them. Figured with the new baler it was silly keeping a bunch of balers. So I took the money. What an idiot I am sometimes... I think that guy knew something I didn't.

Back in the late 70's it seems like a lot of crap equipment started coming out... Remember when Carter pushed through the easy loan farm bill? Seems like a lot of big tractors that didn't run sat around in rust piles. By '79 most of our neighbors were out of business. Fortunately my dad was smart enough to not borrow the easy money, which is why I have the farm today.

Out here , round these parts , alot of salt of the earth types are grabin up ol' 8N fords
    and 9N fords and restoring for use on the farm . Parts are readily avail . The tech is as
    simple as it gets . AND they take most of the STND , 3point acessories .

Phew ,,, who knew ? Some of those tractors are as old as I am ......
    the bad boys say " Submit or Die " ,

I say " Fight or Die " , your choice !

Quote Originally Posted by RENMAN358 View Post
    Out here , round these parts , alot of salt of the earth types are grabin up ol' 8N fords
    and 9N fords and restoring for use on the farm . Parts are readily avail . The tech is as
    simple as it gets . AND they take most of the STND , 3point acessories .

Phew ,,, who knew ? Some of those tractors are as old as I am ......
    I have a guy picking away wrenching on an 8N as we speak....will likely obtain one or two more down the pike a bit...

Yep... our son has one. BUT.., you aren't going to pull a baler and hayrack full of hay with one, or plow a field (except, possibly, with a 1 bottom plow if you have deep, stone-free soil).

They have less horsepower than many lawn tractors these days...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Yep... our son has one. BUT.., you aren't going to pull a baler and hayrack full of hay with one, or plow a field (except, possibly, with a 1 bottom plow if you have deep, stone-free soil).

They have less horsepower than many lawn tractors these days...

Summerthyme
    That's why I have draft horses. I don't bale with them. It's just a lot of work for them. But if I worked them more, they could do it fine. I have a ground driven pto forecart that would run the baler. Maybe someday. I'm very minimal on plowing.