Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debt Limit Looks Like A Real Struggle After Health Bill Debacle

Default Debt Limit Looks Like A Real Struggle After Health Bill Debacle

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/deb...cle-2017-03-24

Debt limit looks like a real struggle after health bill debacle

Getty Images

Vice President Mike Pence (left) departs a Republican policy lunch with Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman in February. The annual wrangling around the debt limit was set to disappear, pundits thought, since Republican control of both the executive and legislative branch would effectively make any showdown over such a silly exercise an own goal.

That’s the current view in the Trump White House at least.

“We’ve spent the money. The concept of the debt limit is somewhat of a ridiculous concept,” said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Friday. “I am hopeful that this something Congress addresses before the [summer] break. I think everybody understands we need to raise the debt limit, and that’s something we’re going to do.”

But the difficulty Republicans have had mustering support for the American Health Care Act shows intraparty disputes are as significant now as they were under Democratic President Barack Obama.

The difficulty and ultimately failure of the bill shows that internal party discipline is minimal.
    Trump speaks after GOP House leaders pull health bill

(2:19) President Donald Trump spoke from the Oval Office on Friday afternoon after House Republicans abandoned their effort to pass a health-care bill that would replace the Affordable Care Act.

Quietly when everyone’s focus was on the health bill, Sen. Rob Portman dropped a bill that would force a dollar-for-dollar reduction in spending — over 10 years — for every dollar that the debt limit was raised.

That sort of legislation isn’t unique, but the fact the author was the mild-mannered Ohio Republican is.

Portman of course wasn’t elected on the wings of Trump, winning by about 21 percentage points versus the 8-point margin Trump had in the Buckeye State. But he is far from the most strident senator in the Republican caucus.

The debt limit was reset to roughly $19.9 trillion this month. Independent analysts say the government has until roughly October to lift that ceiling without risking a default.

Past precedent is that the debt ceiling gets raised by $1 trillion to $2 trillion at a time. Even the low end of Portman’s dollar-for-dollar formula means that roughly $90 billion of spending in the first year would have to be trimmed, assuming inflation of 2.2%.

Recall that President Donald Trump’s so-called skinny budget, which many have thought was incredibly austere, wouldn’t achieve that goal. Trump proposed raising military spending by exactly the amount he’d cut domestic non-entitlement spending. Even keeping defense, homeland security and veterans budgets flat — Trump proposed raising them — would require another $30 billion in cuts from what Trump has proposed.

That’s not to say Congress couldn’t send up some bill letting Trump lift the debt ceiling in some mechanistic manner, as they did for Obama. Congressional Republicans could turn to the Democrats in a way that wasn’t possible with the health-care plan.

But whether he or they want to play ball is another story.

The events of this week show Republicans have a hard time getting to a “yes” with each other, yet alone with Democrats.
    Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

I do not believe that Republicans know the tragedy of their refusal to pass the repeal/replace of Obamacare. TPTB continue to rule over the will of the people and will do so for the foreseeable future. That vote will be written about in future history if there is much future for America. It was that serious.

Ok, the Rebublicans have shown us what they're made of. All they did was fein resistance and declare that if they had both houses they would do something about ACA. Horse ****. They proved they are worthless. Just a bunch of "muh constitution" rhetoric spilling cucks.

Trump obviously won't get cooperation from them. They, along with the democrats, are the enemy of family values, normality and fiscal responsibility. Trump should take his presidency, which they didn't want, and sacrifice it to the cause of forming a nationalist party.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds.

I would explain things to you but....I'm all out of crayons and puppets.

Our system of government is so corrupt on both sides, from the top down, that it is going to implode taking every man, woman, and child with it. IMHO....

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Our system of government is so corrupt on both sides, from the top down, that it is going to implode taking every man, woman, and child with it. IMHO....
    All purchased with corporate dollars.

Trump obviously won't get cooperation from them.
    The health care bill was Trumps!!!!!
    At least he invested his capital trying to get it passed
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    The health care bill was Trumps!!!!!
    At least he invested his capital trying to get it passed
    Did they cooperate?
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds.

His deal making prowess fell a little short.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    His deal making prowess fell a little short.
    Yes indeed, but the Republicans decided not to do anything. Now my monthly premium is set for $2,900 due to their inability to govern. Its now all a Republican fiasco not Democrat.

Well, the good news is they were going to make it even worse

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner