Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help- plant ID help needed!

Default Help- plant ID help needed!

Weed ID help needed!

Guys... this plant has always grown in "waste" areas on our Southwestern NY state farm, although it's never been common. However, this year, there are at least a couple dozen in my strawberry patch, and I can NOT figure out what in the world it might be!

It's about 4 feet tall, with dentate (toothed) leaves that 'clasp' the stem... it looks like it might well be a biennial, starting with a "cabbage" base, and then extending into the flower spike the second year.

It has an unpleasant, almost "burnt rubber" odor to it.

Any ideas?

Summerthyme
    Attached Images Attached Images

Found it, thanks to some help from Faroe over at TB2k

https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/...cum/blattaria/

Summerthyme

Interesting. I was going to guess a variety of wild lettuce. Way different than our mullein here.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Is that thing growing inside the house or you got yourself an outdoor microwave?

Reb, at first glance I guessed wild lettuce too ... Green Dean will tell us IDENTIFY!

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Is that thing growing inside the house or you got yourself an outdoor microwave?

Reb, at first glance I guessed wild lettuce too ... Green Dean will tell us IDENTIFY!

O.W.
    Yeah, the burnt rubber got me too. Wild lettuce, when it gets real milky, kind of has that smell to me...and the milk tastes rubbery to me....through the mouth gagging bitterness, that is.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    ....through the mouth gagging bitterness, that is.
    Can ya imagine chewing a Tramadol or Oxycodone?

These grow on the property and the deer seem to enjoy them:

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Can ya imagine chewing a Tramadol or Oxycodone?

These grow on the property and the deer seem to enjoy them:

O.W.
    LoL.....Yuck!!!!
    When they're small they are good to eat, but only for a short window of time. But yeah, the deer seem to find them tastey....I think I'll take my helping of wild lettuce in the form of deer flesh.

When I first saw your pic. Summerthyme, I thought mullen, but not like the kind we have in Nebraska. Who knew it was spelled mullein? thanks!

Great stuff for natural healing, btw, mullein is. We harvest and dry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    Great stuff for natural healing, btw, mullein is. We harvest and dry it.
    Yes, although not this particular variety of Mullein! The common Mullein (verascum thapsus- Latin names are VITAL if you want to learn about and use herbs safely!) has lots of uses, including expedient toilet paper in an emergency, as well as an expedient bandage.

I harvest the yellow blossoms and soak them in olive oil. A few drops into the ear works wonders for pain and ear infection.

Summerthyme