Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simple Meals From Your Prep Pantry

Hey, Oscar, that doesn't sound too bad, . I've got Spam/bacon flavored in the pantry. In a SHUMER event, your spamelet might be pretty good. I would use fresh eggs as long as I could get them, though. I'm thinking that one could use Spam in any recipe that calls for ham. Oh, and the bacon flavored Spam makes great BLT's if sliced and fried very thin like bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I've got Spam/bacon flavored in the pantry.
    Bacon flavored? Well doggone. Thanks Sherree, I'll look for this next grocery run.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Bacon flavored? Well doggone. Thanks Sherree, I'll look for this next grocery run.
    Well yeah, Oscar. If you have a mind to, you can get several different flavors not just regular or bacon Spam. There's smoked Spam, black peppered Spam, and smoked turkey Spam. I've got a pretty good stock of each, but more of the bacon flavored. I don't care too much for spam, but CaryC likes it.

Not really a recipe but one prep I keep on hand is home-canned pre-browned ground chuck with onions in a bit of tomato sauce, by the pint. Recipe is in the Blue Book. I find it handy any day of the week and think it will be especially so after TEOTWAWKI. I used to only keep what I was sure to use up in a year but now that I know it can last longer, I try to maintain about twice that. Lots of dishes start quick and easy from that base including those that make good use of the rice, beans, and canned tomatoes most of us have on hand.

In anticipation of a solo survival adventure, I keep fairly well stocked on the chunkier soups, both Campbell's and Progresso. Cook up some rice, heat a can, and pour it on. I know, sodium and all that, but we're talking survival and this would be for only me. If family comes to live here during that time, we go to something else.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFish View Post
    In anticipation of a solo survival adventure, ....
    Solo, well that ain't gonna be a lotta fun LittleFish. If'n I was back in Ohio (Shelby / Miami county), I'd volunteer to be your survival friend. I'd bring some newly discovered flavors of spam too ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Solo, well that ain't gonna be a lotta fun LittleFish. If'n I was back in Ohio (Shelby / Miami county), I'd volunteer to be your survival friend. I'd bring some newly discovered flavors of spam too ....

O.W.
    Ah, O.W., that's so sweet of you. I'm not expecting to be entirely alone, just alone inside the house. My daughter and her brood are two blocks down and my son's apartment will be less than a mile away. Plus there's extended family and church folk nearby, and neighbors, etc.

Still, if you and yours happen to be displaced back into this region, please do plan to make contact and stop by!

And do bring the Spam. I remember as a child how transfixed I would be with the little key-like thingy that Dad wound around the top of the can -- it was his go-to when Mom had to work late or had some evening thing going on at the church. Absolutely amazing fried up on a plate, usually with Campbell's pork & beans and fried potatoes IIRC. Haven't had it in ages but still keep some on hand just in case. Wasn't aware of all the flavors. Maybe we don't have them up here.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFish View Post
    I'm not expecting to be entirely alone, just alone inside the house.
    Well good and thank you for your gracious invite. Like wise, should you venture into Tennessee, you and yours are welcome in my ... whatever's left. I'll keep some fancy Spam set aside (I'll get some of each) for such an occasion.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFish
    Not really a recipe but one prep I keep on hand is home-canned pre-browned ground chuck with onions in a bit of tomato sauce, by the pint. Recipe is in the Blue Book. I find it handy any day of the week and think it will be especially so after TEOTWAWKI. I used to only keep what I was sure to use up in a year but now that I know it can last longer, I try to maintain about twice that. Lots of dishes start quick and easy from that base including those that make good use of the rice, beans, and canned tomatoes most of us have on hand.

In anticipation of a solo survival adventure, I keep fairly well stocked on the chunkier soups, both Campbell's and Progresso. Cook up some rice, heat a can, and pour it on. I know, sodium and all that, but we're talking survival and this would be for only me. If family comes to live here during that time, we go to something else.
    Ah yes, the standby home canned ground beef. Thanks for the reminder of it's usefulness, especially in a SHTF event. Anything that you can just heat and eat with little heat or less time consuming will be the better option.

I've not had great success with storing those CHUNKY soups. I don't think the pop top seals stay sealed for very long. After having them on the shelves for about 6 months, mine all began to go bad. I no longer stock anything with pop top type seals, unless it's something short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I no longer stock anything with pop top type seals, unless it's something short term.
    Do you wipe your rims with vinegar Sherree?

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Do you wipe your rims with vinegar Sherree?
    Whatcha mean Oscar? I wasn't talking about my home canned soups coming unsealed. It's those pop top cans of Campbell's CHUNKY soup that don't seal well. Seems everything is going to those type of seals, and they don't last. I was looking for some Campbell's cream of celery soup the other day. All I could find were sealed in the pop top fashion. I refused to buy any. Even the Wal-Mart off brand version has those type seals. So now I'm gonna have to have an adventure hunting all over town for brands of cream of celery soup without pop tops!!